The 8 Types Of People In a Friend Group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

Do you ever look around at your friend group and wonder how the heck you ended up with all these people? I mean seriously, I love my friends but they could not be more different from one another. Every person in a friend group brings certain traits to the table; good and bad. 

Here are the eight types of friends that I have come across in my experience.

1. The wild child

This person is the troublemaker of the group. They may have always been the crazy one or could have just broken out of their shell when they got to college. Either way, there’s no stopping them now. You find yourself wishing that they would slow down a bit and cut down on their alcohol/drug consumption. If you’re a true friend you’ll pray for their poor liver every weekend.

2. The gym junkie

You can find this person at the gym whenever they aren’t in class or at work. You really want to be fit like them but at the same time the couch is calling your name. The gym junkie is dedicated to their workout routine and is known to make plans around their gym schedule. This person *never* skips leg day.

3. The mom and advice giver

This is the person who would do anything for their friends. They are the ones who remind you to do your homework and eat your green vegetables. You get most of your advice from them whether it’s about your relationship (even if they’re single they still give pretty good relationship advice), job or family troubles. This friend will be there at 2 a.m. to pick you up from a party just so that you get home safe.  

4. The funny one

Every group needs someone to keep the mood light! Whenever the funny one has a chance to tell a joke or a pun, they do it. Sometimes they might find their jokes funnier than everyone else does…but that’s okay. Most of the time their jokes are appropriate but occasionally they find themselves telling jokes in the wrong place at the wrong time.

5. The sassy one

This person will give you sass at the drop of a hat. Don’t take it personal. Sass is basically their second language.

6. The smart one

This is typically the person in the group who excels in school the most. School comes easy to this person most of the time. They may not just be book smart, this person could also be street smart. The smart one knows exactly what to do in a dire situation. This person is extremely knowledgeable and is a great resource.

7. The fashionista and/or makeup guru

This is someone who is up-to-date on the latest trends in fashion and makeup. This person had all their research done on those Kylie lip-kits and already pre-ordered one before they were even announced. Everyone in your squad goes to them for advice regarding outfits and all things cosmetics.

8. The drama queen

This person is the root of all of your group’s drama. Your love for them may be blinding you to the fact that every fight can be traced directly back to them. They over exaggerate everything and the word “literally” is at the top of their vocabulary list. If they don’t get their way, whether its what movie you guys see or what pizza you order, just be prepared for their wrath.

When you started reading this you might not have known what kind if friend you were but I hope you do now! Personally, I know that I am the mom of the group. The next time you hang out with your friends, see if you can identify what kind of friend each person is!

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.