7 Festive Things To Do In Rhode Island This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

The changing leaves, the cool breeze, and the fall festivities are just a few of the things that make fall in New England so fun. What could be better than fall in Rhode Island? If you’re looking for a way to get into the fall spirit, here are just 10 of the fabulous fall festivities that go on in Rhode Island throughout the fall. Ready to get festive?

*Photo courtesy of Pexels*

1. Mills & Mysteries Paranormal Activity Investigation

Also known as… Ghost hunting. Slater Mill is said to be one of the “most haunted places in New England.” Join paranormal investigators Carl L Johnson and his brother Keith Johnson as they lead you on a spooky ghostly investigation.

The two brothers have appeared on Ghost Hunters, The Haunted and Paranormal State.

Learn more about the event here.

2. Pumpkin picking

Rhode Island is filled with cute pumpkin patches that will for sure get you into that fall spirit. Nothing like some good pumpkin picking to put you in the fall spirit, right?

3. Fall hikes

If you’re from New England, you know that the #views in the fall are insane. Can you really imagine being anywhere else during this gorgeous time of year? Rhode Island may not be too great for real, legit mountain hiking, but do you really care? Nope. A brisk fall hike up a not-so-steep mountain is just fine for the lovers of those perfect fall views.

*Photo courtesy of Pexels*

4. Apple picking

Another thing Rhode Island isn’t quite lacking in is places to go apple picking! Plus, who doesn’t love some fresh apples?

Photo by Marina Khrapova on Unsplash

5. Get your cider doughnut fix

Apple picking is great and all, but where are the doughnuts? According to the Interwebs the BEST cider doughnuts you can find in Rhode Island come from Smithfield’s Appleland Orchard. The perfect day: Some light apple picking followed by some heavy cider doughnuts consumption. Yum.

6. Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular

This pumpkin festival was featuring on New England Today as one of the five best pumpkin festivals in New England. Intrigued yet? You’ll find 5,000 glowing pumpkins at the festival, 125 of which are carved carefully by talented artisan crafters. The lines can be long, but definitely worth the wait.

7. Sojourner House Masquerade Ball

It’s secretly everyone’s dream to attend a masquerade ball, and what better time to do so than this fall in Rhode Island? This Hollywood-inspired evening will be taking place at the Providence Biltmore this year. There will be a cocktail hour, auctions, a cash bar and even a cake competition. To top it all off, the proceeds from the ball will support the Sojourner Drop-In Resource Center and residential program, a program for victims of domestic violence.

What’s your favorite fall-festive activity in Rhode Island?

Hannah is the President and Co-Campus Correspondent of URI's chapter of Her Campus. She will graduate from the University of Rhode Island in 2019 with a BA in Communication Studies and a double minor in Business and Writing/Rhetoric. Hannah grew up in York, Maine and followed her love for the ocean to Rhode Island for her undergraduate degree. You can usually find her at the beach with SPF 75 in hand or trying to master a new yoga pose. Check out her Instagram (hannah.k.will) to keep up!