5 Stages Of Getting Ready For A Night Of Halloweek

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

In college, Halloween is more than just a holiday.  It is a week-long ritual that requires certain steps to success. 

1.  Pick your costume

The first and most difficult step of your evening is deciding which costume you are going to wear on which night, because, odds are, you have at least three lined up.  You want to save your best costume for the best night of Halloweek, but how do you decide which night that is? Save your more creative and scandalous costumes for the actual weekend–Friday and Saturday–when you’re likely to see (and impress) more people.  However, there is no quadratic formula to calculate when you should be a Sexy Kitty or Little Red Riding Hood.  Just trust your gut.

2.  Pick your poison

Now, if you dress up as a pirate, and you aren’t drinking Captain Morgan, then you’re a real piece of sh*t.  Otherwise consider what you like to drink as well as the day of the Halloweek.  For example, maybe choose beer for Thirsty Thursday so you can make it to your Friday classes, and save tequila for your final night out. Possibly your final night out ever. RIP.

3.  Assemble 

This is a two-part process that consists of assembling your squad as well as your costume.  Make no mistake, getting ready is always a group activity, but on Halloween you need to make sure you have convened your crew in a central location.  This location ideally has loud speakers, decent lighting, copious outlets occupied by straighteners, curling irons, and phone chargers, an array of make up and glitter which has been deemed “shareable” and a potluck of accessories. Now you can collaborate with your girls.  Who is best at hair? Who can nail the perfect smokey eye? Does anyone have extra fishnets? Utilize your team. 

4.  Photo Op (obviously)

Is this not the reason for the season?  You have planned your costume with an Instagram in mind, so now it’s time to make those dreams a reality.  First: pick your wall.  Foremost because you want the main focus to be on you and your costume, not on the graveyard of killed wine bottles on your mantle.  Next: the pose.  Tips to keep in mind: be sexy not obscene, take group photos for group costumes, and close-ups for cool make-up.  Finally: the caption.  While it should be related to your costume (pun, quote, or otherwise) please do not describe the photo.  For example: “Just a witch and her alien friend!” Don’t. 

5.  Pregame the pregame

Toss back one or four before you head out.  This is the only way to kick off and honor the religious experience that is Halloweek. 

URI Her Campus President, Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief! Jersey Girl. Public Relations & Communication Studies double major. Class of 2O17. Usually at the beach, probably petting the closest dog.