10 Lies People Tell You About College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at URI chapter.

College is a major leap from childhood to adulthood. Many people are scared of leaving home and having to be independent for the first time. Others are excited to start this new chapter of their lives. There are many things that parents, teachers, family members and friends will tell you about college that just aren’t true. Here are the top ten lies people tell you about college.

1. Professors don’t give you extensions or move exam dates

Although there are some professors who are sticklers about due dates, some are not as strict. Professors understand that you are taking other classes and that sometimes your due dates and exams overlap. If you go to class and show the professor you care they will most likely give you an extension for the assignment. The key for getting exam dates moved back is for the whole class to raise their hand when voting on pushing the exam to a later date.

2. Joining a sorority or fraternity is the only way to make friends

Photo by Kevin Delvecchio on Unsplash

I have no affiliation to Greek life on campus and I have plenty of friends. I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with getting involved in Greek life, but if you don’t join you will still find friends! Whether it is with the people in your hall, classes, major, or just the people that you meet at freshman orientation…you will make great friends!

3. You’ll lose your friends from home and/or grow apart

If you truly love and care about your friends from home, you won’t grow apart. Sure, you’ll get busy and might not talk to them every day, but when you need someone to vent to they are just one phone call away. When you’re home on long weekends or breaks, you can expect your group chat to flood with texts about plans to hang out. Contrary to popular belief,  you will pick up right where you left off and the crazy antics will continue.

4. Everyone gains the freshman 15

You walk everywhere in college. If you choose to attend URI, you will make the tiresome trek up the hill to the academic level everyday. Obviously, if you don’t hit up the gym and end up drinking every weekend, you’ll gain some weight. That just means you need to get yourself to the gym a little more! Be smart about your choices and you’ll keep the weight off.

5. Going to college with friends from home will ruin friendship

I go to college with one of my best friends from home. We roomed together as freshmen. We are in the same friend group. We live in the same suite. And guess what? Nothing changed! Our friendship isn’t ruined at all. In fact, it is nice having someone you have known for a long time with you at school, because when you need a familiar face, they are right there for you.

6. You’ll always be homesick

I have heard countless comments that people going to school far away from home will just be homesick all the time. Homesickness is common even if you love school and the people you have met. There will always be times where you just want to be home.

The people who make these comments just want to see you fail and come running back home. Stay strong!

7. Professors don’t give out extra credit points

Photo courtesy of Unplash 

I have received more extra credit in college than I ever did in high school! Professors understand that some people aren’t good at testing or didn’t understand a concept and therefore did poorly on a homework assignment. That is why they will often offer extra credit. Extra credit can range anywhere from entering in a code into the clicker system to writing a paper. Whatever the form of extra credit is, just do it. Professors literally hand you these easy points!

8. Your school friends won’t like your home friends or vice versa

Of course, there will be some cases where this is true. You may be a different person at school than you are at home and therefore will have different friends. However, both friend groups will most likely get along!

Photo by Morgan Harper on Unplash 

9. You’ll have so much free time

True, you aren’t in class for six hours straight anymore, but your classes are also much harder and demand more work than high school courses ever did. You’ll have free time but you also need to use your time wisely by studying, writing papers and catching up on sleep. The rule is that for every hour in class, you should dedicate three hours course-related work each week.

10. Professors don’t care how you are doing in their class

Biggest lie in the book! Professors want you to pass their class, because it makes their jobs easier. Most professors stress the importance of coming to office hours if you have questions. Likewise, if they realize that no one did well on an exam, many will not only curve the exam but take time out of class to go over commonly missed questions. PAY ATTENTION. Of course, there are professors that won’t go to the extra mile to help their students, in these cases just try use the resources that they provide for you.

Photo by Cole Keister on Unplash 

It is normal to experience some of these anxieties about college, just try to not let them get to you. You’ll make it through and you’ll cross that stage in four years!

I'm Natalie Prisco and I am a Senior at the University of Rhode Island majoring in Kinesiology on the Physical Therapy track. I am one of the Campus-Correspondents at URI. In my free time you can catch me going to the gym, hanging out with friends or binge watching Netflix.