This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

New Zealand-based author Michael Faudet is a writer who mainly tackles the topics of love, romance, and sex. The Writers House represented artist published his first two books Dirty Pretty Things and Bitter Sweet Love in 2016. The first of these took a much more erotic take on the topic of love, and the second balanced out romance and sex. However, in his most recent work, Smoke & Mirrors, Faudet explores love much more deeply than just sex, going as far as exploring some of the conflicts faced by the millennial generation when it comes to love and relationships.

(picture of Michael Faudet as found on his Facebook page)

Through the use of poetry, prose, and fiction, Michael Faudet manages to explore his romantic side a bit more as well as that of other communities and classes. Starting off with the extremely short piece “Believe”, the writer explores the importance of words and communication in a relationship. The author goes on to examine the state of modern relationships with the short piece of fiction entitled “A Long-Distance Relationship,” where he tells the story of a couple trying to maintain their bond despite the space between them. However, while these works focus more on the topics of romance, Faudet also shows his ability to write erotic work, a prime example being the short story “The Kitty Club.” In this piece, the artist tells the story of some friends who explore their sexuality by going to an assemblage where “all gentlemen must wear a condom when performing.”

(Smoke & Mirrors)

In Smoke & Mirrors, Faudet demonstrates his ability to be romantic while giving the reader hints that he can still be erotic. However, while the work is very much in his style, at times it can feel a little recycled. After reading the author’s first two books and Smoke & Mirrors, one can feel as if he is repeating himself or writing works which could be found in social media sites like Tumblr and Twitter. While the book does demonstrate Faudet’s evolution from erotic to romantic, one can feel that the work is sort of becoming formulaic. Nevertheless, Smoke & Mirrors is a good and quick read one can enjoy in the month of love or late at night with your lover.

(Faudet’s three books)

Smoke & Mirrors sees the author taking a more romantic path in his work while maintaining his use of poetry, prose, and fiction. While the book presents the writer completely in love, one can argue that his work is becoming a bit predictable. Nonetheless, if you are looking for a good gift for your lover or something to read to or with them at night, Smoke & Mirrors is definitely an option to consider.

Find Michael Faudet’s Books on Amazon Here

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.