“Musa & Deleite”: Carly Musa Continues to Experiment in 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

2018 has been a good year for rapper & singer Carly Musa. Earlier this year he was featured on Fico Rodz’s “El Tiempo Pasa Volando and just a few weeks ago, he released a new version of his single Un Poeta Más.” Thus, on March 7th he released the love song Musa & Deleite, where he reaffirms just how a certain someone is his muse whenever he writes and creates new music.

(cover art for “Musa & Deleite”)

With “Musa & Deleite,” Carly Musa takes on the alternative R&B genre in a different way musically. Usually, this form of music takes the form of an ethereal dream-like beat, but the independent Puerto Rican musician decides to use a classic boom-bap rap beat and sets it to 1980s-style synthesizers. However, the track could’ve been better with a collaboration.

(picture of Carly Musa as found on his Facebook page)

This latest effort by Carly Musa comes with an excellent intention, but it could’ve been executed better. While it is courageous for the rapper to try and experiment with singing, this latest single would have benefited from him collaborating with a singer. Perhaps he could have rapped and been followed by choruses sung by another artist. However, if one analyzes the lyrics, one can find that they will connect with people all around, as everyone has fallen in love at one point or another.

Carly Musa’s latest single “Musa & Deleite” is another experiment by the musician as he continues to work on his singing skills, which is always great in a field where more artists are wearing more and more hats each day. However, if one focuses on the production and lyrics one can find some of the already established talent the musician has in his hands.

Listen to “Musa & Deleite” on Spotify and YouTube

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.