This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Hurricane Irma left thousands in the Caribbean devastated and homeless. Barbados was deemed uninhabitable and St. Maarten is also in critical state. Many boricuas are sighing in relief at the hurricane’s passing—had it not drifted north, it could have caused unimaginable disaster—but underprivileged communities are still suffering the aftermath. Let us not overlook our own homestead.

Loíza resides on the northeastern coast, where damage was most severe within the precincts of mainland Puerto Rico. The Category 5 hurricane destroyed entire homes in areas where poverty presides, a factor that will make recovery for these families extremely challenging. Following the initiative of Ashanti Headwraps and the Boys & Girls Club of Loíza, Her Campus UPRM extends an invitation to lend a helping hand.

We will be collecting the following articles:

• Nonperishable food items
  • Clothing
  • First aid equipment
  • Hygienic feminine products
  • Household items

You can bring your donations to UPRM (Colegio) on the following dates at 10:30am – 12:00pm:

• Thursday, Sept. 14
  • Tuesday, Sept. 19
  • Thursday, Sept. 21

Or the Avant Performing Arts in Cabo Rojo from Tuesday to Friday at 4:30pm – 6:30pm.

If you are unable to meet these dates and still want to help, you can mail your donation to the following address:

Cesar Rivera

PO Box 276

Loíza, PR 00772

For more information please call Gabrielle Armstrong at 787-239-1033 or Valentina Pinci at 939-881-7070.

Your patronage is deeply appreciated.

Valentina Pinci is a fourth year Psychology student at the University of Puerto Rico in Mayagüez.
Her Campus at UPRM