Let yourself be kissed by Labios Celofán

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Meet the quintet Labios Celofán, a pop rock/alternative band born right here in Mayagüez back in 2011. Their songwriting philosophy focuses on love, passion, adventures, fantasies and social injustice. If you haven’t heard of this awesome band and want to learn more about them, see their performance live on campus at “5 Días con Nuestra Tierra” next week! Also, check out what the drummer, Carlos Christian, and the vocalist, Grace Rivera, of Labios Celofán had to tell us!

On October 2014, Mute Magazine did an article about their monthly Top 10 Latin Americans Bands and Labios Celofán were featured as number 6. Although many not know of this, the band has also been interviewed via Skype by an Argentinean FM radio, letting them know that their music it’s being heard in Argentina, Venezuela, México, Orlando and Arizona (USA) and many online radio stations throughout the world.

If you want to know more about Labios Celofán, don’t forget to check out their latest EP “Etéreo” and their first one called “Dopamina” which you can download on soundcloud.com/labioscelofan, and stay stuned for their upcoming album “Té”.  Follow them on Twitter @labioscelofan and Instagram @instagram.com/labioscelofan and like their page on Facebook, facebook.com/labioscelofan

Also part of the band are James Vázquez and Nilton Marrero at the guitar and Luis Rodríguez Cruz in the bass guitar. 

Q:  What motivated you guys to start Labios Celofán

It all started as a hobby and it still is, mainly for our amusement. Back then, it was a random and spontaneous thing, but with time the rehearsals became more complex turning into what you hear today; because as time changes all of us do. I can tell you that today we are more focused and have a clear view of what we’re doing and what we want.

Q:  Who came up with the name and why?

LC (Carlos): I came up with the name and the explanation is very simple, but the process of coming up with it, was rather difficult. It all started with wordplay and puns and I thought of “Labios de Celofán” because I wanted to make it a little sensual. 

LC (Grace):  In my opinion, it’s a really good marketing strategy because it’s a name that’s really hard to forget, making people start asking themselves about its meaning. 

Q: Do you have a ritual before band practices or live performances?

LC (Grace): (Laughter) Not really, we just sing.  We consider ourselves quite impractical, so we just see it as a way to spend time with our friends and not something tedious and routinely.  On our live performances, we don’t have a ritual.  We make a sound check as soon as we get there and check if everything’s ready.  Also, we make sure to be the first ones to arrive, even if we’re the last ones to perform, because even though it is a hobby, we are very professional about it. That known rock star lifestyle is not our thing, we are normal people who get to the venue to do what we like, to make music.  

Q: How do you guys find a balance between band and your academic responsibilities and still manage to make time for yourselves?

LC (Carlos): It’s our hobby so we make time for it. It’s our time to disconnect from work, our studies and the world. It’s our break from all of it, so we’re always looking forward to it.

Q: What has been your favorite moment as a member of Labios Celofán?

LC (Both): There’s a lot, it’s like a journey. Getting our first gig was really important because many bands don’t ever get to do that. Following that, we were the opening act of some great bands like Sol D’Menta at El Castillo Serrallés in Ponce.  We were also selected as number one on the Top 40 of Independent Bands on Mi Rock 107.3 FM.  But most importantly, we were nominated in 2012 in the category of “Banda Revelación” for the Award Slam Fest of Voltaje Magazine from Mexico.  We were very excited about it!  We also remember the time where Banco Popular de Puerto Rico, for their bimonthly program, which they showcase all around their different branches, chose our music video “Partículas”. People got very involved with it and tweeted us and sent us pictures they took of themselves watching our video and it being televised on the bank subsidiaries. 

LC (Grace):  Last year also, I was interviewed by the Magazine N-Punto from El Nuevo Día Newspaper.  They were making and article about female influences in the rock industry and they chose me to be featured.  

Upcoming Shows:

March 16, 2016 at 5 Dias con Nuestra Tierra, UPRM campus 7:00 p.m.

March 19, 2016 at Cultura Sushi Bar, San Germán 10:00 p.m.

For contact information

Carlos A. Christian (787) 454-0172, Grace Rivera (939)-350-9055

Email: labioscelofan@gmail.com

Photos courtesy of Facebook.

Her Campus at UPRM