The Impact of “Love, Simon” on a Gay College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Love, Simon tells the story of Simon, a closeted gay teenager who develops an online relationship with Blue, another closeted gay teen from his school whose identity nobody knows, not even Simon. When Blue comes out as gay in an anonymous online confession, Simon reaches out to him via email using the nickname “Jacques” telling him that, “he’s just like him.” As the story progresses, the relationship between the two of them grows deeper, and when Simon’s secret is at risk of coming out, he’ll do everything in his power to keep it hidden and protect Blue.

This heartwarming story touches on a variety of subjects that hit close to home. It breaks down many barriers by showing an accurate representation of what gay teenagers go through, especially in high school. Simon’s story takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions that keep you on the edge of your seat, as he tries to find out Blue’s identity while hiding his own secret. It also shows how high school is a very lonesome place for LGBTQ+ teenagers. Although Simon was lucky enough to be in a very accepting environment, the movie indirectly sheds a light on the constant struggle that we have to face as LGBTQ+ people and the risks that coming out carries. As a gay man, it feels great to be represented in a movie where not only is the main character gay, but also where he has a happy ending. Simon’s story is refreshing and shows that we’re no different from the rest, but we still have to face many challenges in order to survive while being our authentic selves.

Another great point of the movie is Simon’s support system. The movie shows the importance of allies and having someone willing to stand up for you. Luckily, Simon had a supportive family and an amazing group of friends who were always there for him. As someone who struggled a lot in high school, having a group of allies played a vital role in my teenage years, and it still does to this day. High school was a very lonely place for me, and the constant harassment that I had to face on a daily basis just for being gay made my school years almost unbearable. If it weren’t for the amazing people that were there holding my hand every step of the way and reminding me that it does get better, I wouldn’t be where I am today. This movie is a great sign of progress, and it’s beautiful to witness the changes we continue to make and all the hearts we continue to open.

After years of being constantly bullied and harassed, Love, Simon represents so much more to me than just a romantic comedy. In a world where there are countries where being gay is punishable by death, and efforts to take away our human rights continue to be made, this movie gives a voice to all the LGBTQ+ people out there who continue to live in the shadows because coming out means putting their lives in danger. It tells us that we’re all worthy of a happy ending and the perfect love story. After years of people making me feel like I’m worthless just for being who I am, I know I deserve a happy ending too. This movie gives hope to my lonely, depressed teenage-self who never thought life would get better, and as a young adult, it continues to make an impact.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.