jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Epilogio Brings Their Psychedelic Dance Rock to Off The Wall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

To say that Mayagüez’s Off The Wall has been one of the biggest supporters of members of the independent art scene in Puerto Rico would be an understatement. As of recent, the bar has been one of the most up-lifting and escapist environments to go to for members of a college town that have been through a rough semester. While earlier last week they provided the space for some laid back and funky hip-hop, last Friday, May 11th was dedicated to the electronic sounds of DJ Jay Vega and the psychedelic dance rock of Epilogio.

(promo for the event by Derick Joel)

Kicking off the show was DJ Jay Vega who turned everybody in the audience to a mix of drum and bass, house, electronica, and even a little bit of dubstep near the end. With this, everybody could be a bit prepared to what would come next, a mix of danceable indie rock with psychedelic and spacey ambient sounds provided by headliners Epilogio.

(members of Epilogio performing)

To start their part of the show, Epilogio wasted no time after DJ Jay Vega was done with his set. The band quickly got into their orange jumpsuits and began their performance with a highly danceable track that quickly got the attention of audiences inside and outside quickly, packing the bar with people who were releasing all of the stress they had accumulated throughout the week. However, while the show was indeed fun, it wasn’t until a certain tune that the experience turned into something transcending. At one point in the performance, the psychedelic visuals used by Epilogio showed an elevator rising up as if to demonstrate that they, along with the audience, were going to reach the sky, and that’s how it felt as the indie dance rock band turned their psychedelic space-funk influences up to another level and got the public to move their entire bodies be it through head banging, dancing, shaking their hips, stomping, clapping, you name it. What seemed like a mere dance rock show turned into something that, for a brief moment, felt out of this world.

(members of Epilogio performing)

In order for us to continue thriving as a culture, we must support our local artists who have a different voice and that’s exactly what Mayagüez’s Off The Wall has been able to do. Not only have they provided a space for people to have a good time, but also one where independent artists can show their talents and thrive. The latest performance by DJ Jay Vega and Epilogio is just another display of the talent the Puerto Rican independent arts scene has to offer.

Listen to DJ Jay Vega on SoundCloud here

Listen to Epilogio on Spotify here

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.