“Cinta Amarilla”: Be Warned, No Te Metas Con Lo Mío

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

I first discovered José Yellow a year ago when he released his Javier Neris produced EP, Droga de Diseñador. A five song project which explored subjects such as sex, partying, and drug use while contrasting them with the search for success he so desired and the passion for fashion he has. While the project was far from perfect, it definitely demonstrated the potential Yellow had as an independent artist.

(cover for the EP as seen in Yellow’s Soundcloud)

One could argue that, while he has yet to explode in the style of other trap artists like Bryant Myers and Bad Bunny, Yellow had a good 2017 in Puerto Rico’s indie music scene. In the time before María, he released singles like “DQMQand “Dime KLK”, and had performances with the independent art collective Melaza. After María, he released tracks Alofoke and Dejame Ir. But with his latest single, Cinta Amarilla, Yellow reflects on post-María experiences.

(cover by Bold Destrou for the single as found in Soundcloud)

Featuring lyricist Myke Towers in the first verse, the single starts by reflecting on the experiences in a post-María world, where cops would frequent the artist’s residency, but the youth would always be on the lookout. Towers shows that no matter what type of beat he has in his hands, he can complement his lyrical miracle roots and adapt to any situation. After Towers’ verse, José Yellow comes in with his own. Yellow continues to touch on the subject of life post-María by rapping about how he had little food, clothing items, and money to survive, going as far as menacing whoever would try to take these necessities from him.

(Myke Towers as found in his Facebook)

The latest single by Yellow is a different contribution to everything post-María Puerto Rico, yet it has one significant flaw that if fixed could have made the work better. While the production by constant collaborator Javier Neris is fantastic and Myke Towers’ verse is great, I feel as if José Yellow’s could have been a bit longer. He is the main artist, but the song feels like it’s being embodied by Towers’ verse and Neris’ trap beat. However, this does not show a lack of Yellow’s artistic merit because the track definitely has potential to be a club banger. He just needs to regroup and comeback with a new single where he is the sole artist.

(picture of José Yellow as found in his Facebook)

José Yellow is definitely one of the artists to look out for in Puerto Rico’s independent music scene. While “Cinta Amarilla” does not fully display his ability as a rapper, it does show his ear for a good trap banger. For his next single he has to come with a solo effort where he can put his talents on full display.

Fernando E. E. Correa González is the author behind over 20 self-published poetry books. He has been published by literary magazines & journals [Id]entidad, El Vicio del Tintero, Sábanas Magazine, Smaeralit and Tonguas. Other than writing, Correa is also a filmmaker, podcaster, photographer and master’s student. He currently lives in his native Puerto Rico.
English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.