This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Here is the thing… we change. We grow up and we mature into people we probably didn’t expect to be. Our current interests and mind sets differ from the ones we had before. Leaving behind thoughts, past goals, ideologies, and even good friends. Moving on from these elements isn’t a bad thing, it only means that you’re growing. Although, sometimes it’s good to maintain contact with the people we have left behind. Not those who were toxic to your life, but those who were there in your best and worst moments lending you a hand. People that we appreciated, but the changes that affected your lives made you drift apart. Maybe you are hesitant to talk to those people again, that’s why we’ll tell you few tips for you to reconnect with loose ties and also why you should do it.

Don’t be afraid to make contact.

I know you may be nervous to talk to them again. You may think that they’re not interested in seeing you again or that your relationship may not be the same now. But believe us when we say: take the risk. Most of the time your old friends may be thinking the same as you.

When actually talking again, don’t be shy to be yourself.

Maybe you think that things will never be the same since you both have changed so much, you aren’t the people you once were. That’s why it’s important to lay yourself down. To let them know the person you are now. They will do the same and both of you will begin anew with honesty.

Remembering is good.

Recall that these people were the ones who you experienced so much with. Times that may never come back. The laugh out loud moments, the hardships, the learning, the tears, and the friendship. It’s good to remember the past with those who did good to you by your side. Never forget them.

Get to know how life has been treating them.

Keep up to date with their lives and share how yours has been. Hearing their accomplished goals and fails and you telling yours is always pleasant. And what do you know? You may even motivate yourselves to be better at what you do.

Let them know you’re still here. 

If you still care a lot about them, let them know that even if things aren’t the same with you two, you are always there. The trust you have built over years doesn’t have to be broken just because you’re apart.

Be prepared for knowing that your friendship wont be the same one as before.

Yes, you may have had fun being together and recalled how much you have experienced, but sometimes everything is left like that. You may keep in touch, but the relationship may not be the one from before, and that’s okay. Just by knowing that you still keep updated with each other and make the ocassional plans to get to see each other is splendid.  

Call me Uli. English major and a giant bookaholic. "She gazed through a long reach of future days strung together like pearls in a rosary, every one like the others, and all smooth and flawless and innocent, and her heart went up in thankfulness." -Mary E. Wilkins Freeman