Two More Countries Legalize Same-Sex Marriage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

It’s been around forty-seven years since the fight to legalize same-sex marriage. The uphill battle that the LGBTQ+ community has had against conservatives and years of prejudice has been slowly, but surely, earning the members of the community the basic human rights they deserve.

On Thursday, December 7th, 2017, Australia joined the group of 26 Countries that changed the definition of marriage from “the union of a man to a woman” to the “union of two people”. The Australian Parliament passed the legislation after a nationwide referendum. The results of such were 62% to 38% in favor of same-sex marriage.

It’s said to be a “Huge Success” considering that just two years ago there was a referendum where around 60% of the Australian population voted in favor of the change in the constitution, but was dismissed by the government at the time and cataloged as a “huge poll for opinions”.

This win for LGBT+ rights makes Australia now the second country in Asian-pacific regions to legalize gay marriage.

Along with this news, earlier in the week, Austria’s court has ruled that same-sex marriage will be legal by the end of 2018. On Tuesday the Austrian court decided that to not allow this law change to pass, it would be an act of discrimination against their citizens.

News like this can bring a sense of ease to members of the community, because although slow change is happening worldwide. People are opening their eyes and realize that to deny the rights and benefits that come with marriage such as housing, family, health, employment and government benefits, to just name a few.

The fight isn’t over yet! There are a lot of struggles for and within the LGBT+ community. But it is still with great pleasure to announce that yet again: Love Wins!

Currently coursing their third year in the University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus; Agnes Sastre enjoys to write and manage art projects like Fractal Puerto Rico.They are very passionate about the arts and encouraging it as a way of expression and healing. As an English Major, Agnes enjoys to read and it wouldn't be odd to find them at a bookstore. It would also be quite common to find them eating pizza, having passionate arguments about their favorite artist or series and occasionally playing Pókemon Go.