This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

We’re growing older and since looking to the future is terrifying, it seems fitting to take a looksee into our past. The years we have lived to see as 90’s b*tches have been tumultuous, to say the least. We’ve seen tragedies, we’ve seen change, and we’ve seen progress. Everything we have lived to see will, in the future, be history. It’s amazing how we don’t stop to really take in everything we’ve lived through, so here is a little recap of what we, as 90’s b*tches, have lived through.

Some events, like the 9/11 terrorist attacks, will remain ingrained in our mind’s forever. As you all may recall, an Islamic terrorist group named al-Qaeda hijacked three planes. Two hit the World Trade Center and the third one crashed into the Pentagon. On September 11, 2001, the world stopped turning. This act of terrorism incited the war in Afghanistan as well as a War on Terror in itself. After 10 years, justice served the infamous founder and leader of the group al-Qaeda, Osama Bin Laden. Bin Laden died on May 2nd, 2011. 

Being 90’s b*tches has had its perks, don’t get me wrong. We were graced with gorgeous on-screen actors such as Brad Pitt, Gerard Butler, and Ryan Gosling. Our pupils were surely grateful for such beautiful actors coming forth to the big screen. We saw the coming together of Brangelina and the falling apart of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise. For those of us who read Twilight (guilty) and Harry Potter (heck yeah!), we were able to see those characters we loved so much on paper, come to life before our eyes. Amazing actors like Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson put their best foot forward in Hollywood, whilst mediocre actors like Kristen Stewart were glorified. Speaking of Kristen Stewart, she and Robert Pattinson won Best Kiss category in the MTV Movie Awards for three years in a row! There must be some real talent there. Take notes fellas! Not to put aside reality TV, we must admit to having been (sadly) entertained with Jersey Shore. Later to be surprised by Snookie’s weight loss and childbearing. Who’d have thought?

We have, thankfully, been witness to change. In the presidential elections of the United States of America in 2008, we all saw the first African-American to hold office. Running against a conservative John McCain, Obama won with a percentage of 52.9%. He is currently still president having beaten out Mitt Romney for his second term. Other changes we’ve been able to see are in the legalization of same-sex marriage and cannabis. As of 2013 Connecticut, Iowa, New Hampshire, Washington, Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maryland, and the District of Columbia have legalized same-sex marriage. This issue has been a very tricky one that has caused uproar from both sides of the issue. Cannabis has been legalized in Colorado and Washington for recreational purposes. The states that allow it for medical use only are: Alaska, California, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Vermont, and the District of Columbia. This is a huge step for the War on Drugs, seeing as it’s a significant amount of states that allow it for medical use therefore the amount of states that allow recreational use might grow.

[ pagebreak ]

As well as being able to see new talents rise up in Hollywood, we’ve been seeing teenage pop stars pop up like there’s no tomorrow. One of the legendary pop star groups that appeared in recent years is, The Jonas Brothers. Come on girls, you can’t deny you’ve liked at least one of their songs. Sadly, I can’t deny “Love Bug” gets me every time. It’s okay if you don’t like them anymore, it’s probably because you’ve matured and moved on to One Direction. Those English accents are enough to make anyone sweat, even Taylor Swift. Let’s not go into Taylor Swift’s million and one celebrity boyfriend situation, shall we?

How about we bring up two power couples that just won’t quit it? Starting out with Beyoncé and Jay-Z who recently had their first-born child named Blue Ivy. These two had an instant hit with “Crazy In Love” and then hit it off quickly after. Who are the other power couple that won’t quit it, but definitely should? Rihanna and Chris Brown, who else? So, to keep everyone up to date, Rihanna was brutally beaten by Chris Brown in 2009. Now? They’re happily working it out. Talk about being a fool in love! Sadly, we’ve seen the passing of two legends in the music business, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. May they forever bring the house down in Heaven!

Fashion is something that comes and goes, but we’ve seen trends fade away and others come back into the spotlight. Flared or bell-bottom jeans have officially hit the bottom of the drawer, or trashcan. Flared jeans are sometimes still acceptable if worn appropriately. Jean skirts? Out! Jean skirts were in around 2005-2006, but not anymore. Unless you’re wearing some seriously well-made paneled jean skirt, it’s not acceptable. Now, what’s come back? The high-waisted look from the 1940’s and 50’s are BACK. Whether it’s high-waisted jean shorts, jeans, or even skirts. The 1950’s skinny jean look has also made its way back with the death of the bell-bottoms. Girls wear white skinny jeans, black skinny jeans, and now even printed skinny jeans.

There are so many more things I can mention we’ve seen like the amazing Red Bull dive from outer space, Hugo Chavez’s passing, and the meteor that crashed in Russia… but, I’m just going to point out that us 90’s b*tches survived December 21st 2012. We’re are definitely kicking it!

In case you sometimes forget you’re a 90’s b*tch, just remember…

• You remember watching Bug Juice;
  • Michael Jordan was (and is) the God in basketball;
  • You watched Corey and Topanga grow in love in Boy Meets World (stay tuned for Girl Meets World);
  • You know the Macarena by heart;
  • You remember MySpace;
  • You saw Regina George and Casey fight like Mean Girls;
  • Light up and roller sneakers were awesome!
  • You remember renting VHS tapes;
  • You settled everything with rock, paper, scissors;
  • You at least had one tamagotchi, gigapet, or nano baby.

*The pictures were taken from:

www.tumblr.com

mymajicdc.com

www.teenvogue.com

www.glamour.com

www.pleasenotepaper.com

Personal style blogger who loves black and white... And poetry.
Suzzette Martinez Malavet is a senior at the University of Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras studying Information and Journalism. She loves photography, shoes, fashion, social media, traveling and exercising outdoors. She has interned at the Capitol of Puerto Rico, Diálogo Digital, Wapa TV, Telemundo Network, U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions and the Corporate Communication/Sales & Marketing Department of the U.S. Mint in DC, but her proudest accomplishment was in Spring 2013 when she founded the very first HC Chapter in Puerto Rico, Her Campus UPR. Suzzette is currently the Chapter Advisor of Her Campus American University, Marymount, William & Mary, and GW. She is also a returning intern this semester at the U.S. Census Bureau's Center for New Media and Promotions. This 22-year-old woman is the most career-driven individual you will ever meet. If you want to know a little more about her...if you want to know what makes her tick and what inspires her the most...Unlock the mystery by reading some of her awesome articles!