books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

10 Fly Through Reads You’ll Need For The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

The holidays are just around the corner! Everyone is preparing their cozy essentials and planning the week with family and friends, excited to get some well-deserved vacations and adventures. But, not everyone likes to spend their holidays outside. Some of us actually favor spending our time relaxed in our house, curled up watching Netflix or reading a good book. If you’re one of those, then stick around because this is the article for you. Let’s be real since we’re on a break, sometimes we need an easy read we can fly through. One that gives us all the feels, but short enough that yu can read them quickly but still want to keep reading more.

Any Colleen Hoover book 

Genre: Young Adult Fiction and New Adult Fiction

Pages: Depends!

If you love stand-alone romances that hook you up on the get-go, then you probably need to check out Colleen Hoover. She’s a skilled writer that writes love stories like you never imagined before and plot twists that leave you gasping. You can look out for: November 9, Ugly Love, It Ends With Us, Slammed, Maybe Someday and Hopeless. Believe me, these are quick reads that you won’t stop reading until the end. They’re absolutely heart-wrenching but in a way that won’t allow you to stop reading. Find out where you can find her books!

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Psychological Thriller

Pages: 227 pages

This short, short book is filled with mystery and intrigue. It follows a destructive group of friends and the secret they all hide. It deals with themes of loss, heartbreak, and trauma. It’s written exceptionally well. If you want a quick read filled with riddles, then and then check this one out.

We Are Okay by Nina LaCour

Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Fiction

Pages: 240 pages

A beautiful short read filled with loneliness and an emotional journey that leaves you wanting more. You follow Marin, a young woman that leaves her past far behind her but is forced to confront it again when Mabel, her best friend, comes to visit her. Find the truth in this angsty, yet beautifully wrapped up novel

The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon

Genre: Young Adult Fiction

Pages: 2384 pages

If you have read other Bookish Wednesday’s articles, then you’ve probably seen this novel mentioned before. Yes, it’s that good. This book is full of diversity that follows a romance in one day. It also mentions the cruel reality of immigration, since one of the characters is being deported. This story will make you laugh, make your heart soar and break at the same time. You can find this book through Nicola Yoon’s website.

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Genre: Essay

Pages: 64 pages

This book is incredibly well-written and very compelling. Written by masterful writer, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, her ability will leave you wanting. Do I need to say more? It’s a super short read since it’s an essay. But Chimamanda really knows how to pack a punch in it. A knowledgeable and empowering read to make our feminist hearts pound with pride. Everyone should read it! 

I’ll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

Genre: Young Adult Fiction

Pages: 371 pages

Another angsty read that follows the life of twins Jude and Noah. Jude, a rebellious and adventurous girl, and Noah, a quiet and artistic boy at heart, are going through a rough patch in their lives and need to find themselves again to mend their broken relationship. Written from their past and present, this book will make you feel astounded by the artistic metaphors it creates. Beautifully written and great queer representation. You need to snatch this book up.

Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Genre: Romance novel, Young Adult Fiction, Bildungsroman, LGBT literature

Pages: 303 pages

I bet you thought that I wouldn’t add any more emotional books: you were wrong! Though this is a light-hearted read, it pulls at your heartstrings. This book is funny, cute, and hits all the right spots in your heart. It has LGBTQ+ characters, a good and entertaining plot, sigh moments, and it’s just a fun read. The plot follows Simon’s mysterious exchanges with Blue, another boy who hasn’t come out yet. What more can we ask for? You’ll love being in Simon’s head. Get this book and then watch the film.

Milk And Honey by Rupi Kaur

Genre: Poetry

Pages:  208 pages

A poetry book that represents the hardships and the beauties of being a woman. Short with a minimalistic aesthetic and simple concrete metaphoric drawings, the author pours her heart out in words that you’ll see yourself in. Another feminist read that’ll make us remember the beauty of womanhood. 

Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

Genre: Postmodern Literature

Pages: 100 pages

While being on break, why not try to widen your classic reads? If you’re looking for a small, postcolonial classic that revisits the theme “madwoman in the attic”, then this is the one for you. Written as a prequel and response to the well known Jane Eyre, see how our protagonist Antoinette fights a twisted society that threatens her sanity every day. A classic you can’t miss!

One Plus One by Jojo Moyes

Genre: Romance, Fiction

Pages: 432 pages

Another funny, quick read written by the same author that wrote Me Before You. Although, this one won’t leave you rocking in the corner. A love story, a family story, and a road trip story all in one. Great characters, laugh out loud plot, and a nice twist of romance between a single mom and a geeky tech guy. A vacation novel through and through, you will love it! 

I hope you end up reading any of these lovely books. I hope you have excellent holidays filled with lots of warm drinks and reading books.

Call me Uli. English major and a giant bookaholic. "She gazed through a long reach of future days strung together like pearls in a rosary, every one like the others, and all smooth and flawless and innocent, and her heart went up in thankfulness." -Mary E. Wilkins Freeman