Why Kendrick Lamar’s “DAMN.” Is Important to This World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Since the release of Kendrick Lamar’s fourth studio album, DAMN., this past Friday, the world has been left with a plethora of lyrics and music to digest. After listening to DAMN. enough times to at least grasp some of the overarching messages embedded in the album, I can confidently say that Lamar has contributed an important piece of art to this world.

Continuing the Conversation of Police Brutality

Lamar confronts a clip of FOX News reporters misquoting (the reporters left out the word “dead” in their recitation) lyrics as they criticize Lamar’s “Alright” performance at the 2015 BET Awards, sampling the clip towards the end of the first song in DAMN. The recitation of the clip includes the lines “Lamar stated his views on police brutality with that line in the song, quote ‘And we hate the popo, wanna kill us in the street fo’ sho’.” Though Lamar has responded to the criticism surrounding the song “Alright” in his 2015 album To Pimp A Butterfly in the past, in DAMN. he provides an unapologetic comeback. Lamar has never censored himself in his political views, and the songs “BLOOD.” and “DNA.” showcase not only confidence in himself but the views he stands for.

Addressing Donald Trump

In the song “LUST.” Lamar addresses the 2016 election in which Donald Trump was elected president. He expresses the same anxiety that many people faced the morning of the election in the lines, “We all woke up, tryna tune to the daily news/ Lookin’ for confirmation, hopin’ election wasn’t true.” Following those lines, he provides a bleak view into a possible future, “Bet they agree, parade the streets with your voice proudly/ Time passin’, things change/ Revertin’ back to our daily programs, stuck in our ways,” predicting that as time goes on, the large protests that have occurred all over the world since Trump’s inauguration will diminish as people continue to live their lives and accept America’s political fate. As distressing as it sounds, Lamar gives a realistic view of what has reoccurred in past social movements and protests in America. Despite this, “LUST.” can and should serve as a reminder to keep fighting for causes that we believe in.

Exploring Human Emotion

Perhaps the most obvious theme in DAMN. is the portrayal of Lamar’s innermost intimate thoughts and emotion. Lamar has proven he’s an adept storyteller and DAMN. is no exception. In DAMN., Lamar has somehow articulated the inner, unspoken details of raw, uncensored human emotion in a gloriously merciless compilation that is only 14 songs. Lamar’s storytelling on DAMN. is undeniably better than his past projects and his rapping is effortless, delivered in sharp jabs and fluid rhymes. In the final song, “DUCKWORTH.” Lamar speaks of his troubled beginnings and the gang affiliations that his friends and family members were involved in, he tells a story of his father and Anthony “Top Dawg” Tiffith, the founder of TDE, Lamar’s label, in such a rich and seamless meld of intensity, filled with dense rhythms and swanky jazz moments up until the effortless loop back to track one. Throughout DAMN., Lamar is multifaceted, contradicting, impassioned, thoughtful, complex, strange and unexpected but most of all, he is human.

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.