The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck: (A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life) by Mark Manson is a 2016 publication written by the blogger and entrepreneur. It has been said to be quite the read with its “don’t give a f*ck” approach to living a truly happier life. In this self-help guide, Manson breaks down the think positive stereotype that says the magic is in thinking big. Bringing academic research and greatly timed sarcastic comedy, Manson’s book leaves you feeling like he was a genuine friend who grabbed you by the shoulders to be REAL with you.

In college, especially here at UNT, we tend to live in a “higher education” bubble of classes, organizations, relationships, protests, opinions, and more. With an outside view of the real world seeming farther away than just four short years, a lot of students tend to forget technically, our experiences here are only temporary. As a student leader, I’ve found myself every semester holding up the ideal image that seems to be placed upon many students, knowingly or unknowingly. It’s the image that says that you need to be well involved with UNT activities. You need to be apart of certain UNT organizations. You need to know and associate with certain UNT people. All of this embedded into the minds of impressionable freshman and transfer students eager to take on all that UNT has to offer.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my university. I WAS that eager transfer student willing to go all the way with my eagle claw raised high. I joined every UNT focused organization at one point in time, went to every event, as well as networked with “veteran” UNT student leaders. What I had to learn after a while, though, was that not everything revolves around UNT. I love this school so much, and place it on a high pedestal, as does many others like me, but I think we tend to forget that UNT is supposed to be a great stepping stone into the real world. It seems obvious enough, but surprisingly many encompass the now as being the forever.

I’m in my junior year, and I’m in-between that weird space of wanting to be involved with school orgs/events again, but also wanting to take what UNT has taught me out into the world. The University of North Texas breeds leaders, innovators, and creative thinkers. I’m proud and confident that my school’s program has equipped me with the tools necessary to dominate in a competitive and changing world. I’ve been utilizing outside opportunities to network, while also trying to remain a student leader with orgs and events here at UNT.

Honestly though, I’m getting to that point, where I just don’t give a f*ck. I’m still here for UNT, and want to go out with a bang my senior year with amazing experiences, but I’ve been interning since I was a freshman, and feel I’ve utilized all that UNT has given me as a student, a leader, and future graduate. Hearing from my peers who stress over relationships, opinions, organizations, and such leaves me reeling at the realization that this will all be over soon and new stresses are to come with our real world passions.

So I guess next time you are stressed, take a deep breath, just don’t give a f*ck, and count how many times I said UNT in this article. Talons up

Senior at The University of North Texas. I made Black UNT my news beat, and haven't been able to sleep since. Love covering all things melanated Mean Green.
Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.