Struggles From a Girl Who Loves Video Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Since I was a kid I remember spending nights on the couch-playing Halo with my sister. Ever since those nights of fighting aliens as Master Chief, I have struggled to find my place within the gaming world. I have had to fight through stereotypes, feeling ostracized, and harassed just because of my gender. Here are a few of struggles that I have had to deal with as a girl in the gaming world.

Being called “Gamer Girl” or “Grill”: These terms started out as a joke and for some they might still seem like just jokes, but they are dehumanizing to women. The term “Gamer Girl” is meant to define women who are accused of playing video games for attention, mostly on streaming sites like Twitch. These terms are discriminating for women who are no longer gamers but “Gamer Girls” because of their gender. And is unfortunately still used to diminish women’s importance in the gaming community.

Not being able to identify with protagonists: I have spent hours and hours playing as heroes fighting dragons, zombies, aliens, etc. as a man. Although, the video game industry is geared to men, this leaves women feeling isolated. We are unable to identify with heroes who are women. And not women who are sexualized. When even the world in video games doesn’t want women to be the heroes, where does that leave women?

Although this is getting better, through games like Overwatch, Horizon Zero Dawn, Mirror’s Edge, Nier: Automata, and many more, we still have a ways to go.

Female characters being sexualized: Yes there are many female characters but how many can you think that weren’t basically naked? As a kid playing these games, it could have taught me that I had to dress like Ivy Valentine from Soul Calibur to get attention. And don’t get me started on Zero Suit Samus.

Not being able to identify with many professional esports players or streamers: For years I have been watching streamers and competitive esports games. Through those years, I have always had a hard time relating to many of the players because they are overwhelming male. Although there are all-women teams for most games, which is problematic by suggesting that women should be segregated again, there aren’t a lot of ladies in the professional field.

There also aren’t a lot of women who are high-level streamers. Which gets to be problematic for women watching and assuming they can’t make it because no other girls can either.

Being held to different standards than your male counterpart: In a survey, from ESPN asks Pro League of Legends players in North America and Europe were asked about pay, drugs, living in a team house, and the reservations of female teammates in a survey released by ESPN. 27 percent of the 33 players that were surveyed said they would have reservations. “If a female was to join my team, she would have to prove that she was worth it more than a guy [in the same role],”one anonymously named player says.

What? Why do women have to prove that they are better than men? Why can’t they be just as good to be on the team or play with men in general? I’m always finding that I have to prove that I’m an actual “gamer” by being better or knowing more than a guy.

Sexually and verbally harassed while playing, because of your gender: It’s sad to say that this has happened to me too many times while playing online games. I have been called many names based on my gender. It’s even worse to see female streamers on Twitch being harassed sexually in the chat.

MissHarvey a pro a pro Counter Strike: Global Offensive player,  told IQ  “The way I get harassed is about what they would do to my body, about why I don’t deserve to be there because I use my sexuality – it’s all extremely graphic.” Harvey also told IQ regarding threats within the industry that “A girl must have really thick skin to handle all the hate and not get emotional about it.”

Hiding that you are a woman on online games: Because of what I have mentioned before, I personally have tried to hide all facts that I am a woman when I play online. I try to use a gender neutral name or even a hyper masculine one. I avoid voice chats and Discords, just so people won’t know that I’m a woman.

Here are just some of my struggles that I have had to deal with, what are some of yours?

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.