The Sex Diaries: Let’s Talk Birth Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Choosing to be sexually active is perhaps one of the biggest social dilemmas women face in college. There are parties, drinking, and attractive people all around us, and sometimes it’s hard not to let those temptations take over. Whether you are sexually active with one partner or casually hooking up and testing the waters, it’s important to keep yourself safe. Getting pregnant in college is usually not anyone’s preference, and I’m sorry, the pull-out method is complete bull based on sheer dumb luck. In order to stay fully protected from unwanted pregnancy, you must have a reliable method of birth control.

The Different Kinds:

When I first started looking into birth control, I was overwhelmed by my options. Here are a few facts about the many different kinds, their prevention rates, and more:

The Arm Implant (Implanon & Nexplanon): This is a small rod inserted into your arm that releases hormones into your blood stream that thicken the mucus around your cervix and prevent ovulation. It is considered to be one of the most effective ways of preventing pregnancy, as there is no chance of making a mistake. Although this method can last a long time, it is not permanent, and you can have it removed from your body at any time. Your ability to get pregnant is also quickly restored once it’s removed.

Days effective: Up to 4 years

Cost: $0-$800 depending on your insurance

Prevention rate: More than 99%

The Patch:  This is a thin, plastic patch that sticks to the skin- sort of like a bandaid. A new patch is placed on the skin once a week for three consecutive weeks, and then there is a patch-free week where your period is expected to come.

Days effective: one patch is effective for one week

Cost: $0-$80 monthly depending on your insurance

Prevention rate: It is about 91% effective if you do not always use the patch as directed, and 99% effective if you do. However, the patch may be less effective for women who are overweight.

The Pill : Birth control pills are ingested daily for 21 days with the final 7 days being a pill-free week so that your period may arrive. However, they are an easy way to control your period, as you can continuously take the pills to prevent it from arriving. They work by preventing fertilization and ovulation. In some forms of the pill, you must always remember to take it at the same time every day for it to be completely effective.

Days effective: however long you consistently take the pill.

Cost: $0-$50 monthly depending on your insurance

Prevention rate: It is about 91% effective with imperfect use (ie you miss or take a late pill) and 99% effective with perfect use.

The Shot (Depo-Provera): The injection is placed in your arm or your butt which releases hormones into your blood stream. These hormones prevent ovulation. You must remember to get a new shot every 12-13 weeks to ensure protection.

Days effective: up to 3 months

Cost: $0-$100 per injection + exam fees, depending on your insurance

Prevention rate: It is more than 99% effective when you remember to go back in for more injections, and about 94% effective if you do not.

The Sponge (TodaySponge): This is a foam sponge that is inserted into the vagina. It covers the cervix to prevent sperm from passing through and continuously releases spermicide that makes sperm immobile.

Days effective: The sponge can be inserted up to 24 hours before intercourse. It must be left in place for 6 hours after intercourse, and it must be taken out after 30 hours.

Cost: $0-$15 per pack of three sponges

Prevention rate: The sponge is more effective for women who have never given birth. 9% of women will become pregnant if the sponge is always used as directed, and 12% of women will become pregnant if the sponge is not always used as directed. It is not as reliable as other forms of birth control, but definitely better than nothing.

The Ring (NuvaRing): The ring is inserted into the vagina and forms around the cervix, releasing hormones that prevent pregnancy. It is left in place for three weeks, and then taken out for a bye week, when your period is expected to come.

Days effective: three weeks

Cost: $0-$80 depending on your insurance

Prevention rate: 99% effective when used correctly, 91% effective when used incorrectly. It is important to insert the ring as directed and remove it when directed.

The Condom: A condom is made of latex or plastic and is worn over the penis to catch any ejaculation during intercourse.

Days effective: only good for one use

Cost: $1 or free per condom at some healthcare providers; varies based on package amount.

Prevention rate: Condoms are 98% effective in perfect situations, but in reality, they are only about 82% effective. This is partly due to the fact that people are not always aware of tears or rips, allergies, or expiration dates when choosing a condom. To me, it is better to have a medical form of birth control over just a condom because they are more reliable and completely dependent on your choice. Some men don’t enjoy wearing condoms, which is their choice. Note: I am not saying have sex with a man who doesn’t wear a condom when you ask him to. It is just always better to be double protected than falsely protected, especially if you meet someone in the moment and neither of you have Trojans on hand.

The IUD: This is a small, T-shaped device inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. They change the way that sperm move so that they do not pass through the cervix. There are currently 5 different brands of IUDs, so ask your healthcare provider which is the best option for you.

Days effective: Up to 12 years

Cost: $0-$1000 depending on your insurance

Prevention rate: An IUD is over 99% effective and, almost with the arm injection, is considered to be one of the most reliable forms of birth control as you are covered for a great deal of time.

The Reactions:

“I love the arm injection!” Kayla, co-President of Her Campus UNT, shared with me. “You can keep it for 3 years, and I only get a period every 2 to 3 months so I don’t have to worry about it. I rarely deal with any pain. I did bleed in the beginning, but I was able to stop that by taking pills with it the first month. It was free under my insurance.”

“The IUD has always scared me,” Sarah, sophomore at UNT, said. “You hear those horror stories about it getting stuck up there or caught on something else. I’d rather stick to something I can control, like the pill.”

“I have been on the depo shot for 8 months,” Micaela, a Her Campus UNT member, said. “I haven’t gained any weight, and my period stopped, thank God. The only thing negative I would say about is I have mood swings and eat  a lot more.”

“[The pill] took some getting used to, and I had a lot of breakthrough bleeding, but after a few months it started working like a charm,” Casey, sophomore at UNT, explained her experience. “I’m a waitress, so it’s easier for me to pay once a month for birth control than flesh out a lot of cash at the beginning. Plus, I can skip my periods when I want.”

“I take birth control because my periods were so bad that I would pass out and vomit,” Destiny Lambert, a follower of Her Campus UNT, explained. “It has made dealing with them so much easier, and I never have to miss class because of it.”

The Bottom Line:

With this many options out there for birth control, you are bound to find your right fit. Just be safe and cautious, and don’t forget to stay protected. <3 You can contact the UNT Student Health and Wellness Center for more information on birth control as well as to set up your birth control consultation (which is free!) at  (940) 565-2333 *All information in this article was acquired from the Planned Parenthood website. 

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.