5 Things to Do On Valentine’s Day Without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

Let’s face it: being in a relationship while being in college is difficult. We spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on tuition, textbooks, and food each month. By the end of the month, we’re close to being broke, and not all of us have time to hold a steady job. Treating your sweetheart to a nice evening becomes a fantasy more so than a future plan, and it only becomes worse once holidays such as Valentine’s Day roll around. So we’ve concocted a list of 5 cheap–and still romantic–things to do this Valentine’s Day with your significant other without busting your bank account. 1. Hand-make the presents. Sure, as women we all love a shiny piece of jewelry from time to time. But my girlfriends and I would much rather receive a thoughtful, personal, hand-made gift from our boyfriends than anything else. This includes cards. Writing your own personal note instead of spending ten dollars on a generic Hallmark card not only saves you money but also shows your significant other just how special they are to you. Construction paper and glitter pens are your friends, people. 2. Netflix and chill. Okay, maybe not actually, but keep the same concept: instead of dropping a ridiculous amount of money on a quarter-sized portion of steak, cook your sweetheart an easy meal indoors (or set up a table outside somewhere) and light some candles. Not only will this, too, add a personal touch to your holiday, but it’ll give you more time to spend together rather than worry about reservations, restaurant pricings, and how to split the check. After dinner, put on a movie, and spend the rest of the night together! 3. Create and give to them a playlist of meaningful songs. There was something so sweet about handing your middle school crush a mix CD. Even though technology has progressed since then, the sentiment behind the act remains the same: music holds meaning. Compile your and their favorite songs into a playlist and send it their way. Make sure to pick happy tunes that remind you of each other. This is a gift they can keep forever by playing it repeatedly on their phone, in the car, or at home with you. 4. Dance. Even if you don’t like to. Valentine’s Day is the one day you get to do the cliché, cheesy things that all the couples do in Nicolas Sparks movies. You don’t necessarily have to go out for this one, either; in fact, it won’t cost you a dime. You can just plug in #3 and spin each other around right there in your dorm or apartment. Stepping on each other’s toes and bumping heads will only make you laugh, and the night will become even more fun before you know it. 5. Say “I love you.” Let’s be real for a second: Valentine’s Day has become more of a commercial holiday as the years have progressed. Numbers 1-4 are definite ways of showing your appreciation for one another, but there is nothing more loving than just saying those three words. Tell each other why you care for each other and make promises for the next Valentine’s Day. The most important part of this holiday isn’t the gifts or the food or the candy hearts: it’s the love between the two of you. Wishing you collegiettes a very happy Valentine’s Day! HCXO.

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.