3 Reasons Why You Should Stay Single During College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

It has come to my attention that cuffing season is right around the corner. That’s right, cuffing season. Urban dictionary defines it as “the fall and winter months where people who would normally rather be single, find themselves tied down by a serious relationship.”

It’s true though. Who doesn’t want to snuggle on the couch and watch a TV marathon of horror movies, eat candy corn and maybe make out during the commercial breaks? Ugh.

Stop it right there. Before you get the urge to text your ex (like me), hear me out. Being single in college is so great, you just haven’t realized it yet.

Being single in your 20s means being free to follow your dreams. It’s okay to be a little selfish right now. Think about it – you’ve got your entire life ahead of you to spend your time working 9-5pm, raising children, and being married. So why not treat yourself while you’re young?

But if you still need some convincing, here are 3 simple reasons to reconsider settling with Brad from Kappa Kappa Chino.

1. You don’t know what you want

When I was in the 10th grade, I wanted to marry Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day. I thought he was everything I wanted in a guy. (Eyeliner and all. Cringe.)

When I was in 12th grade, I almost married my ex-boyfriend. I thought I was going to finish college and move back to my hometown to be with the guy until I realized he had already found someone else.

You see? Imagine if I had settled with Billie Joe. The truth is, none of us know what we want right now, and that is totally fine.

Put the relationship idea aside for one second, and think about where you are. You made it to into college. Ask yourself, why do you want to go to college? To get an education, right? To learn how to be an ‘adult’ perhaps?

That’s what college is for; a time of self-discovery, curiosity and opportunity. Enjoy it while you can.

Remember it is always A-okay to make mistakes. You need them to grow.

2. You don’t need anyone to make you happy

Sure, going out with your friends, buying new clothes, or getting likes on Instagram can make you happy – but that feeling is only temporary.

At the end of the day, you are the only one who takes care of yourself the way you need to. Nobody can treat you how you treat you. Think of yourself as your own significant other, and make that your new standard. Do not settle for anything less than you deserve.

Last year, I ended things with a guy who was keeping me away from being myself. I was forgetting what truly made me happy, and I was drifting away from my dreams.

It takes a lot to find yourself again. Be patient, and allow yourself to be happy. Prioritize what is important to you: school, work, friends, etc.

Once you create a rhythm for yourself, you will feel unstoppable.

3. You don’t want to waste your time

I have friends who recently got out of relationships, who have never experienced sharing a twenty-piece chicken nugget box with drunk friends, laughing about the adventures that previously went down. It doesn’t sound glamorous, and it surely isn’t meant to be. But it’s life in your 20s.

The point is, when you are in a serious relationship, your weekends are dedicated to staying in, watching TV, eating, sleeping…Did I mention staying in?

Believe me when I say I can totally binge watch Gossip Girl for days and I appreciate a good nap here and there. But I couldn’t do that every day.

Plus, think of all the time you’ve spent arguing with bae. If I had a dime for every stupid fight me and my ex had, I’d be rich and single living in the Hamptons.

So don’t waste your time arguing with your s/o. DUMP THEM ALREADY. You are too young to waste your golden years.

You are in college. Right now, you are in your prime. These are the days you will look back on and remember forever. This is the time when you are young, and wild and free. You can literally do anything you set your mind to. Work hard, be kind, and you’ve got this.

Orooj Syed is a senior at the University of North Texas, majoring in Biology and minoring in Criminal Justice. Between balancing her academics and extracurricular activities, she enjoys finding new places to travel and new foods to eat. Writing has always been one of her greatest passions and, next to sleeping, she considers it a form of free therapy.