Refreshing Ways to Look at Rejection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Being rejecting or being told ‘no’ when trying to accomplish a goal is one of the most unfun things that we as humans could ever experience. Whether it be in relationships, jobs that we are seeking, or just simply anytime we are told that you are not good enough, rejection can give us the idea that we are simply not worthy. But, instead of looking at rejection as a sob story, what if rejection could help us boost our self-esteem? Here are a few things to think about anytime you are told ‘no’

1. From flawed to heroic

This simply involves changing your mindset. A flawed mindset looks at rejection by letting negative thoughts dictate future actions. When we think of the situation in a heroic way, we are the ones controlling how we feel. We can always choose to be positive and know that better things are yet to come.

1. A blessing in disguise

This is a time to look at the world from a different perspective. Maybe this one door was closed on you because really there is a better door opening. Maybe it is just a lost dream that is leading to another dream and that idea worth it once you get to where you are going.

1. Time to Become Better

Can you believe that Michael Jordan was told that he was not skilled enough in high school? Oprah got fired from her first job because they thought she was not fit for the industry? Both Michael and Oprah used these major rejections as stepping stones to prove that they were good enough. Even Oprah has faced major rejection in her life, but I think it’s safe to say that she made it out ok!

It is hard to be rejected or told no, but thinking of it as an opportunity to be optimistic and to be led in the right direction will surely lead to success.