Is Punxatony Phil punking us with his weather reports?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Whether it’s the cute new SnapChat filter or the always so kind and cute Groundhog predicting if we will be laying out by the pool early or not this year, Groundhog’s Day can be a fun, extra reason to celebrate. Personally, I doubt I’ve ever actually paid attention to this day little alone partied afterwards. But really, who needs a reason to go have fun?

Groundhog’s Day has been a day that so often if over looked and yet for some reason when we finally hear what Punxatony Phil announces we listen in. Groundhog’s Day has been around since February 2nd, 1887. It was started in Punxatony, Pennsylvania (maybe the reason for the infamous groundhog’s name). As many watched eagerly this past Tuesday, our good pal Phil, right before biting his handler, claimed to have not seen his shadow, which means….NO MORE WINTER!

Very encouraging to hear for anyone that has slipped and fallen to their butt more than once this snowy winter. Phil has been wrong before though. It’s said he’s only been right about the weather about 40% of the time. Explains why this blizzard recently visited us.

However, there is a more reliable source. Rumor has it, that the Woolybear Caterpillar knows the true forecast. If these little fellows crawl out with more orange than black on their backs, then spring is coming soon! There’s even a whole festival dedicated to these fuzzy meteorologists.

Honestly, I could care less what burrowing animal predicts it. As long as spring’s coming early, I’m a happy camper. I don’t know about you, but I’m setting out the bikinis and lining up the sundresses. Let’s just keep praying to god that old Phil was right.

I am the oldest child of four and from Omaha, NE. I cheered in high school and was a part of the competitive team at my school. I love Nicolas Sparks movies and Lord of the Rings. I obsessed with American Eagle and yogurt covered pretzels:)