Practical, Inexpensive Gifts for Everyone on Your List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Christmas is finally here! That means lots of cookie decorating, Jingle Bell rocking, and gift giving. If you’re a broke college student like me, the last may bring more tears than Holiday cheer, but fear not! Here are some gift ideas for everyone on your list that won’t bust your wallet and are things that you’re loved ones will actually have use for.

For Mom and Dad:

Parents can be the most difficult to shop for, as they usually claim to “not want/need anything”. However, whether you’re a cute little fourth grader or a semi-mature twenty-something, parents will always love homemade gifts. For example, my siblings and I made an album of reenacted family photos, and my mother went nuts, showing it proudly to any family member or friend that would flip through it with her. Make a cute craft that either represents your family or remembers a fun time you’ve spent together. If crafting isn’t your thing, keep your eyes peeled for something that your parents are truly in need of: organizers for all those scattered family recipes, a computer program to organize and scrapbook the boxes of photos in your storage, a gift certificate for a repair shop to fix the refrigerator, etc. And if all else fails, give mom and dad a night off with a gift card to a nice restaurant and volunteer to watch and feed the other kiddos.

For Your Girlfriends/Roommates:

First and foremost, sit down together and agree on a set, small dollar limit! There is nothing more annoying than one friend going all out and buys everyone expensive jewelry (though thoughtful of her) and you show up with 99 cent lip-gloss. Incorporate their individual personalities into the gift, like a painted ornament with their initial and something that describes them. Have a spa day with massages, yummy treats, and Pinterest homemade mask recipes till your heart’s content. Give the gift of caffeine, with a cute and sturdy coffee mug to last through those long nights of studying and some holiday flavored coffee grounds. Or, if you’re really feeling artsy, set up a time to have a friend photo shoot and get prints made to decorate your dorm; it’s planned so everyone can look their best, you can keep them forever, and you’ll more than likely have a blast doing it!

For the Boyfriend:

Though you’d love to buy him the latest video game ($60+) or that leather jacket that you know would look fantastic on him, your income is not near what it needs to be to afford them. Instead, shoot for something you can do together: take him to that movie he’s been dying to see, pay for/ make him a nice dinner (males never turn down food!), or make a date jar full of future ideas so you never have to go through the “what do you wanna do?” thing. For the girlfriends really reaching for some brownie points, make him a bad day box with all his favorite goodies for after a difficult final exam or to keep for emergency pick-me-up moments, or even better yet, make him a personalized 25 days of Christmas with a small gift/treat for each day of December with a heartfelt note for him to read each day reminding him why you’re his #1.