katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Makeup Cult Favorites: Are They Worth the Money?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

Throughout the years there have been some makeup products that have blown the public’s mind. Due to vast recommendations by beauty bloggers and fabulous reviews, these products have collected a ride or die cult following. With high quality, however, comes not so great prices.  Below I have listed a few of these cult following products and if I think they’re worth the extra money.

Tarte Shape Tape Concealer

This Tarte concealer is a relatively new product that has already developed quite the popularity. Raved by many beauty gurus, this product has been said to have the ability to fix your face completely. That being said, I had some pretty high expectations when first trying this bad boy. At $24 this product doesn’t come cheap, but it’s not as expensive as other similar products. After using it countless times to hide my dark circles after all-nighter Netflix binges, I can wholeheartedly say that this product is worth every penny. It has great coverage, it’s easy to blend and stays put all day.

Kat Von D “Trooper” Tattoo Liner

Kat Von D eyeliner is also said to be one of the best in its category. As one who has hardly any experience in winged eyeliner, I was very hesitant to try this product. When I finally mustered up the courage to try out a dramatic cat eye I was pleasantly surprised and how easy it was with this product. This highly pigmented liner provides a one swipe coverage with a precise point that makes it easy to control. I truly believe this product is worth the $20, especially when compared to drugstore eyeliners.

Benefit Roller Lash Mascara

Although I have heard the Benefit Roller Lash Mascara praised by countless numbers of my favorite beauty vloggers, I still had a hard time convincing myself that a mascara could be worth $24. So much so, that I didn’t even buy the full size, I chickened out and bought the travel mini for $12. The claims for this product is that it’s supposed to hold a curl to your lashes all day, as well as make them appear long and voluminous. After using it for a while now, I can vouch that these claims are valid. Yes, it’s a great product, but there are so many fantastic drugstore mascaras that are just as great, if not better. Some I recommend include the L’Oréal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara and the Maybelline New York Lash Stiletto Mascara.

NARS Blush

NARS is a highly popular makeup brand, but their blushes are what put them in the makeup all-star league. Their blush in the shade “Orgasm” is one of the most raved products around, and as one who has tried this product I see why, it’s a beautiful blush. It blends like a dream and creates the perfect rosy flush on the cheeks, but so do a lot of other blushes that aren’t $30. My all-time favorite blushes are from the Sephora collection and will only run you $14, less than half the cost of the NARS brand.

Becca Highlighters

Alright – CHAMPAGNE POP IS LIFE. I can’t tell you how many reviews I have read about Becca highlighters that sound a little something like that. Now, because I am pale as snow, I found the Becca Highlighter in “Pearl” to be more complimentary to my skin. I’ve tried this product for a long while, and it’s one of the most beautiful highlighters I have ever used. These highlighters aren’t going to give you a subtle glow from within; they’re going to make your cheekbones visible from the International Space Station, so keep that in mind before you buy it. At $38, these highlighters are quite pricey, but I have yet to find a drugstore highlighter that gives me the icy glow that the Becca Highlighter does. So, for this product, I recommend saving up your pennies, or selling a kidney because it’s *totes* worth it.

Kylie Cosmetics Liquid Lipsticks

Okay, I don’t need to explain the hype on this product. The proof is in the brand; I don’t think there has been a cosmetic company that has created the amount of sheer craze that Kylie Cosmetics has. The star of the brand’s show has been their lip kits from day one. Now, to be honest, I haven’t had the chance to try a lip kit but I did get my hands on some of the brand’s holiday single lip colors, and I must say I was impressed with the products. People love to hate on Kylie, but truth be told, the girl can make a liquid lipstick. I found the formula to be comfortable and long lasting, and the smell to be not as potent as people have said. My only con for the product is that the darker shades are PATCHY like “line- your –lips- twice- and- fill- them” in patchy.  Besides that, I say these products are worth it, especially at $17 for a single matte color. If you’re on a budget, however, an excellent liquid lipstick from the drugstore is the Milani Amore Matte Lip Cremes. They’ll only run you about $8 and are just as comfortable and as the Kylie brand.