Campus Celebrities: Zach Fleer and Matt Smelser

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNL chapter.

If you haven’t had a test or paper by this point in the semester consider yourself lucky. In between school, clubs, Husker games, and other activities, time gets away from us all very easily which is something Matt Smelser and Zach Fleer know all about. As former students themselves, the duo know all about how important the little things can be. So in their mission they went out to the Union to provide free hugs and high fives.

About The Two:

Matt and Zach are a part of an outreach program known as The Navigators. The Navigators is an organization that started in California in the 1930’s, and is now based in Colorado. The Navigators seek to bring together communities, just like that of our humble University of Nebraska-Lincoln! 

Why UNL?

“The students here are the friendliest. They see us and don’t think twice to say hello. Everyone here is vastly different, yet all going for the same goal of getting that diploma. We tend to forget what happens before then also really matters.” – Zach

But Why Free Hugs?

“It’s just a simple act of kindness, we don’t want to forget the little things which is something that we do so often. As former students ourselves, we know what it is like to be in college. You’re always busy, you always have something to do or are always on the run. So why not provide something that takes a fraction of your time and could even improve your day?” – Matt

Will You Guys Eventually Start Doing More than Hugs and High-Fives?

“Right now we have this small thing, and it brings us happiness too. I don’t know where this will lead, if it even goes further. But for the present time being this is more than enough!” -Matt

How Do You Stay So Cheerful?

“It’s the little things for us, too. There was a girl with her nose inside a book studying who looked very stress. We don’t really believe in chance so her stopping in front of us to get a hug and leaving with a smile on her face really keeps us going. We know that even by the littlest of things we’re making a positive impact.” -Zach

Catch the duo around the Union, we can’t wait to see how many more smiles they bring to campus! 

Self-proclaimed feminist killjoy and young politico.