What I Wish I Knew My Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Being a freshman is a wonderful thing. It’s the time for making mistakes, getting to know yourself, figuring out what your passion is, and finding all the right people to make these experiences even more meaningful. Being exposed to all the traditions, I felt as if I was a part of something much bigger than myself. I admit, at first I had no idea what I was doing. In an effort to not look like a total idiot, I tried to stealthily look at a map of the campus on my phone on the way to classes. Now, I could tell you exactly where any building is and even how long it would take to walk there. Being a freshman, however, is a right of passage and a pivotal time for anyone who takes the time to stop and appreciate the journey.

The bittersweet sensation of the end of the school year can be felt all throughout campus. I’ve found myself scrambling to re-teach myself what I learned throughout the semester, and regretting those mornings I decided to sleep in “just five more minutes”. Seniors will be graduating and moving on to the real world, and I will finally not have to reluctantly say, “I’m a freshman” when I meet new people at parties. In what seemed like an instant, the weather turned warmer and frisbees and footballs are being tossed around outside of every dorm. Nobody is quite ready to leave, and everybody is trying to take in as much of these last few weeks as possible.

Giving a tour to my friend who is coming here next year, I realized that I had so much to share about these past few months. Before I left for school I naively googled things like “what to bring to college” and “college packing list”. But missing from the organizational drawers, snacks, shower caddy, and new skirts, were the things that I would eventually just have to figure out on my own. All the things I wish I had known my freshman year.

1. Friendships, and relationships in general, take time. You may think you found your best friend and long lost soul mate within the first week, but in reality there are thousands of other people on campus that you are yet to meet. I barely even knew my best friend during the first semester. It’s important to make friends in all of your classes, and branch out into different social groups. And don’t stress if you don’t find your future husband. It’s most likely going to take a while before you find your niche, but being friendly, kind, and genuine goes a long way.

2. You’re going to miss home. A lot. I didn’t realize how much courage it takes to be independent, and I didn’t realize how often I would have the urge to call my parents and relieve my stress. Keeping in touch with friends from home can be difficult, but I’ve definitely put the effort into holding on to my friends. They can be extremely supportive especially when you are first adjusting, and have just as many crazy stories to share as you do!

3. Time management is key. At first you’ll feel like you will never be able to handle all the work you are given, but you’re capable of so much if you just plan everything out. I bought a daily planner and scheduled everything at the beginning of the week, from classes to homework to studying to laundry. College is all about packing as much into the day as possible. You’ll be busy, but you’ll be organized.

4. Embrace school spirit. Go to football and hockey games, learn the cheers, be a part of the community. Join intramural teams, find clubs and organizations that you’re interested in, get out of your comfort zone, it is so worth it!

Inevitably, you will learn most things the hard way. Your alcohol tolerance, coffee addiction, cramming abilities, and bank account will all be tested. You’ll feel so mature sometimes, and other times you’ll wonder if you’re back in high school. My first year was a whirlwind, and I am left wondering if my next three years will be filled with as many adventures and mishaps as this one. I know that I will look back at each year and ask, “What on earth was I thinking?” But at the same time, “Damn, it was worth it.”

So far, college has been more than I ever imagined it to be, and different than I had ever expected. Yes, the main goal is to get an education, but I have learned more about myself in these past few months than any fifty-minute lecture could satisfy. Although everyone has various good and bad experiences their freshman year, one thing we can all agree on is that we are very, very far from where we were when we started.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!