Vegetarianism- The Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Contrary to popular belief, becoming a vegetarian isn’t as easy as popping a ‘veggie supreme’ pizza into the microwave or slapping together a PB&J sandwich for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Following a vegetarian diet can be either helpful or harmful to your diet depending on whether you are getting the proper amount of nutrients. Becoming a vegetarian requires creativity, and lots of planning. Missing the creative gene? Referring to vegetarian cookbooks can ease your nerves and create a smooth transition into the healthful world of vegetarianism.

First you should establish what type of vegetarian you would like to become. There are many options that can adhere to different beliefs, wants or dietary needs.

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian- Someone who doesn’t consume meat or poultry but freely consumes dairy products like cheese and milk as well as eggs and all plant-based foods.

Lacto Vegetarian- Someone who doesn’t consume meat, poultry or eggs but freely consumes dairy products and all plant based foods.

Ovo Vegetarian- Someone who doesn’t consume meat, poultry or dairy products but freely consumes eggs and all plant based foods.

Vegan- Someone who doesn’t consume any meat, poultry, dairy products or eggs and eats strictly plant based foods.

The biggest concern for teens regardless of whether they are choosing a vegetarian diet or not is that they are getting the adequate nutrients to support their growing bodies. Teens need extra amounts of specific nutrients based on their height, weight and activity level. Most teens vegetarians lack the following nutrients in their everyday diet and must put an extra effort in to make sure their needs are met.

(Hey, even vegetarians need a food pyramid!) 

Calcium- Calcium is a mineral that is already found in your body and is one of the key building blocks to strong bones and teeth. It also keeps your muscles in good working order by assisting in the transmission of nervous system messages throughout your entire body. In addition, your blood uses calcium to clot or stop bleeding when you get a cut. Since calcium is responsible for so many important processes, you need a lot of it! If you fail to meet your calcium needs, your body will start taking calcium from your bones and teeth making them weak and increasing your chances of developing Osteoperosis.

Top Sources: Dairy products, spinach, broccoli, rhubarb, fortified cereals and juices

Teen needs: 1,300 mg (for all teens age 9-18) about 3 servings daily.

Iron- Appropriate iron intake is especially important for females because they often lose large amounts of iron during menstruation. Iron carries oxygen to all the muscles in your body and is necessary for proper organ function. Signs of an iron deficiency are increased fatigue or weakness and difficulty maintaining proper body temperature. It is important to know that vegetarians have higher recommended dietary needs than non-vegetarians. Having an adequate intake of calcium will allow for better absorption of iron while consumption of caffeinated foods will inhibit absorption.

Top Sources: fish, eggs, beans, spinach, lettuce, peas, fortified cereals, dried figs, and apricots

Teen needs: (*note that vegetarian recommended intakes are 1.8 times higher than non-vegetarian recommended intakes)
                                    Males: 14 mg daily (9-13 years)
                                                20 mg daily (14-18 years)
                                    Females: 14 mg daily (9-13 years)
                                                27 mg daily (14-18 years)

Iodine- Iodine is used by our bodies to metabolize food into energy and keeps our thyroids functioning like they should. Iodine is also a key player in regulation of heart rate as well as respiratory rate. Worldwide, iodine deficiency is extremely common and is a major cause of preventable brain damage. Deficiency can also result in the swelling of the thyroid gland, known as Goiter and even growth deficiencies. Because a large portion of iodine intake comes from seafood, it is important for vegetarians to be aware of their iodine needs, growing teens in particular!

Top Sources: seafood, seaweed, iodized salt

Teen needs:
                                    120 mg daily (9-13 years)
150 mg daily (14-18 years)

Omega-3 Fatty Acids- Omega-3 fatty acids like DHA and EPA are important for the development of the brain and can contribute to overall heart health. Although they can be made in our bodies, they need a small amount of helper fatty acid known as ALA to start production which can be consumed in the diet.

Top Sources: fatty fish, flaxseeds, walnuts, canola oil, soy products

Teen needs:
                                    Males: 70 mg daily (9-13 years)
                                                55 mg daily (14-18 years)
                                    Females: 70 mg daily (9-13 years)
                                                85 mg daily (14-18 years)

Protein- Protein is very important to our bodies because it is found in every single cell we have. Protein repairs injured cells, builds tissues, helps our hair and nails grow, and even aids in bone growth. Luckily protein is also found in almost every food we eat, even vegetables! Although a decreased protein intake seems to be the main concern of most people around us when we notify them that we follow a vegetarian diet, it shouldn’t be. As long as you consume a diverse diet, you should meet your recommended intake on a daily basis.

Top Sources: beans, grains, seeds, nuts, dairy, eggs

Teen Needs: 0.36 g per pound of body weight daily (all ages)

Vitamin B12- Found naturally in animal products, Vitamin B12 helps make red blood cells, and aids in nerve function. Deficiency of B12 is rare since the body is capable of storing it in large amounts, but because most vegetarians are not consuming a wide variety of animal products we need to be aware of other sources of the nutrient. In the event that the body cannot absorb Vitamin B12 and therefore cannot produce enough healthy red blood cells for our bodies, a condition known as anemia is often the diagnosis. Symptoms include fatigue, tingling of the limbs, a sore tongue or loss of appetite.

Top Sources: fish (especially shellfish), eggs, dairy products, B12 fortified foods

Teen Needs:
1.8 mg daily (9-13 years)
2.4 mg daily (14-18 years)

Vitamin D- Vitamin D’s main role is to help the body absorb calcium, another key nutrient essential in the teen vegetarian diet. Our bodies are capable of making their own Vitamin D when we expose our skin to sunlight but as anyone living in a northern climate already knows, sunlight is hard to come by during the winter months, causing our bodies to be deficient in Vitamin D. Defective bone growth can result from this deficiency as well as a condition known as osteomalacia, or soft bones. Vegans need to pay special attention to their Vitamin D intake since vegetarians consume the most significant amounts through milk and eggs.

Top Sources: flesh of fatty fish, egg yolks, milk, fortified soy milk, fortified cereals

Teen Needs: 600 micrograms daily (9-18 years)

Zinc- Essential for continuing growth and development, Zinc maintains a healthy immune system and helps heal the body’s wounds. Although deficiency is very hard to detect, lowered levels of zinc can result from diarrhea and during periods of extreme growth (teen years).

Top Sources: shellfish, whole grains

Teen Needs:
                                    Males: 8 mg daily (9-13 years)
                                                11 mg daily (14-18 years)
                                    Females: 8 mg daily (9-13 years)
                                                9 mg daily (14-18 years)

Staples of a Vegetarian Diet:
1. Healthy Oils- Canola oil and extra-virgin olive oils are healthy sources of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats which keep our hearts healthy. They are also great sources of the omega-3 fats, mentioned above in the teen vegetarian nutrient guidelines.   
2. Eggs and Dairy- Both eggs and dairy are excellent sources of vitamins and minerals as well as a super source of protein for lacto-ovo vegetarians.
3. Nuts and Seeds- Nuts and seeds provide both protein and healthy forms of fat as well as many vitamins and minerals essential for keeping our bodies healthy.
4. Beans and Legumes- Both beans and legumes are the best sources of plant proteins for vegetarians. You will find that many common vegetarian food items are made from beans and legumes- tofu, hummus, and falafel.   
5. Whole Grains- Essential to vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike, whole grains are an excellent source of carbohydrates and also provide added fiber and vitamins that are typically processed out of most “white” grains.
6. Fruits and Vegetables- Fruits and vegetables are the base of a healthy vegetarian diet. They provide us with an endless supply of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to keep our whole bodies performing their absolute best.

(That looks pretty balanced to us!) 

Leah Tully is currently studying nutrition, wellness, and writing at the University of New Hampshire.
New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.