The Top 10 Foods to Cure a Hangover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

We’ve all been there, some more than others. You wake up parched, crying out for ice water and Advil, not sure what time it is or if your roommate even made it home. You chug your water and sit up, ready for the next step in your anti-hangover agenda: food. Hangovers may be the ugly underbelly of your Saturday night partying, but that doesn’t mean you have to spend all Sunday laying in bed. You can still have a productive day and food is the key to your success. Compiled is a list of the top ten best foods to cure a hangover, and yes, I have personally tested them all. 

JB – Franz’s Food

The JB from Franz’s is my go-to-cures-every-hangover miracle. It’s two eggs, hash browns, bacon, cheese and ketchup –all wrapped up in a delicious grilled tortilla. It’s a big breakfast for sure, but you need all those yummy carbs and calories to get rid of those early morning shakes. 

Quarter Pounder – McDonald’s 

Now I know fast food isn’t the best choice for a health conscious collegiette, but I promise that it’ll lead to one of the most productive Sundays you’ll ever have. The Quarter Pounder with cheese is greasy and delicious, with a generous helping of piping hot fries to help wash down the memory of what you did last night. 

Egg White Omelette – HoCo Dining Hall

This option is for the budget, and calorie, conscious. You can find an omelette station at any of the three dining halls on campus, but HoCo is my personal favorite. Just swing through the line and chose from a plethora of veggies and cheese and wait as your omelette is made fresh before your eyes. I would advise pairing your one of a kind creation with a whole wheat English muffin and a sprinkle of Frank’s Red Hot sauce. 

Egg and Cheese Sandwich – The Bagelry

An egg and cheese sandwich from the Bagelry is an excellent way to start the morning. The Bagelry usually has around a dozen bagel options to choose from, so there’s always a bagel to please every palate. My favorite is the Oatmeal or Salt bagel and I usually get my sandwich with American cheese, but if you prefer a more exotic cheese, feel free to get a little daring. There’s usually a pretty long line at The Bagelry, so I would advise calling in your order from the comfort of your bed and picking it up when it’s ready. 

Chicken Finger Dinner – Wildcat Pizza

I am well aware that this is not a normal breakfast food, but sometimes you just can’t stomach an egg. This is for one of those times. The chicken finger dinner comes complete with a small side salad, a solid portion of fried chicken and some of the most delicious fries known to man. I always get mine made extra crispy. 

Burrito Bowl – Chipotle

One of my New Year’s resolutions was to become a vegetarian, and this hangover cure helps me recover while still allowing me to be a veg-head. Chipotle is the Subway of the Mexican food world. You first choose between a burrito, fajita, quesadilla or burrito bowl, which is basically a burrito without the tortilla wrap, and then add the good stuff. Being a vegetarian means I get grilled veggies instead of meat, but I always add the corn salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cheese and lettuce. I snag some tortilla chips for dipping and I’m ready to beat Sunday’s hangover once and for all. 

Waffle Fries – Wildcatessen 

Sometimes all you need is a cheap, greasy snack to cure your hangover blues. I would 100% recommend the waffle fries from Wildcatessen. It’s only ninety-nine cents for a good serving, so it’s easy on any collegiette’s budget. I would also highly recommend a side of ketchup and two sides of honey mustard for dipping. Trust me, you’ll need two. 

Chicken Caesar Wrap – Village Pizza

I’ve always loved Caesar salads. They’re definitely the least healthiest in the salad department, but totally the most delicious option out there. Next time you find your Sunday hangover is out of control, crawl down to Village Pizza and order a Chicken Caesar Wrap. It comes with a side of fries to fill your grease quota and the green lettuce in the wrap tricks you into thinking it’s a Monday morning not a rough Sunday. 

Egg, Cheese and Sausage on a Croissant – Dunkin Donuts 

This description may have taken a while to read, but it’ll only take you two seconds to scarf down this delicious sandwich. I want to say it’s a number four on their menu, but don’t quote me. The nice thing with this meal is that you can combo it and add a coffee for not too much more. Just beware – coffee can cause you to become even more dehydrated than you already are! 

Wild Vegetarian Benedict – Young’s Restaurant & Coffee Shop 

As I said before, I’m a new vegetarian, so I added this to the list. However, they also have an Irish Benedict and a Graduate Benedict to choose from. And hey, if you’re feeling really hung over go for the Lumberjack Breakfast; with two eggs, three pancakes, ham or sausage, it’s an excellent way to get rid of that hangover for good. Now go hit the lib.  

Laura Tentas is a Junior Business Marketing major at the University of New Hampshire's Whittemore School of Business and Economics. She is the Vice President of the Marketing and Advertising Club at the Whittemore School and past Vice President of Recruitment for her sorority, Alpha Phi International Fraternity, Eta Alpha Chapter. Laura enjoys snowboarding, bikram yoga and anything to do with the ocean. She hopes to some day write a novel and her favorite TV show is Law and Order SVU.