The Smart Girl’s Guide to Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

My Story
This Spring I jetted across the Atlantic to the City of Light; Paris, France. With three and a half suitcases, (instead of the typical two) I was ready to take on the world for the next four months and embrace the experience. However, the experience I was promised prior to departure was nothing like the reality I faced.

Having never flown alone my mom and godmother embarked on the journey to France with me a week prior to my program orientation We spent the week getting accustomed to the time change, avoiding the temptations of Louis Vuitton and seeking out pharmacies, supermarkets, and day-to-day necessities I would need access to during my stay. At the end of the week, we arrived at my apartment for the program orientation. There I found myself around the corner from where Hemingway wrote many of his famous books, next to designer stores, and in walking distance from the beautiful Saint Germain Church. I was in the most beautiful arraignment of Paris. Quickly however, the awe of my surroundings vanished. My program director arrived 20 minutes later than planned (so Parisian, how chic I thought). The first cultural variation I have to get used to, I could deal with that. The four of us proceeded to walk through a courtyard and hiked up four flights of stairs and to my new apartment!

Before even entering the apartment, the doorknob was visibly detached from the outside. Next, the kitchen showcased a broken and stained mini fridge (for four people), silverware covered in filth, a microwave so filled with orange splatter you could not see through the glass, missing knobs on drawers and a stained faucet. The other rooms proceeded to have a TV that did not work correctly, a stained pillowcase from the broken window above (that “they didn’t feel the need to fix”), a molded washing machine, molded shower, and other people’s belongings still under the sink. I did not picture to tour luxury but I did not picture unhealthy filth either.

(this is the inside of her washing machine!! & the doorknob to her FRONT door. Safety first?)

Distracted by the conditions of the apartment I had yet to realize was also alone. Study abroad programs my friends had been on had groups of 200 people; I however was the only student. I sat down for a one on one orientation and was handed a printed out packed with spelling errors and a director who could not answer basic questions.

(this is Jackie’s microwave….we wouldn’t let our late night Ramen noodles anywhere near this bad boy!)

In my orientation, I sat baffled. I was told that there was no need for me to go to the American hospital if I got sick. Instead, I should have a doctor who I pay in cash come to my apartment…NO THANKYOU! I was also informed that my entire program consisted of two other students my age and a 35-year-old student who was also living with us. To make matters worse these three students were only in my program, but not even at my school. So much for the large study abroad experience with kids my age to ride the metro with at the very least, I thought to myself.

(Mold in the bathroom, a disgusting kitchen, tiny fridge and a broken window that drips water stains onto the bed? Poor Jackie!)

Things spiraled downhill quickly to the point at which I had to create a slideshow of photos to document and prove my hellish experience to which I was offered little help by the program. In addition to the lies, I was told about the apartment and people on the program. I found myself with medical insurance issues and having paid double in comparison to other abroad students at the same school as me. With a full refund of my parent’s money, I returned to UNH for the Spring 2011 Semester. I wish I had known then what I know now before I had chosen my program. Please use the following advice to avoid what happened to me in your adventures.

On Campus Guidance
Contact the study abroad office on campus at any point in your process. Their online website (http://www.unh.edu/cie/studyabroad) provides a lot of useful information including advising, planning, and financing. If you want more individualized assistance Jeff Sherman is an excellent resource. He is very accessible and responds quickly to emails. He even went as far as having a long conversation with my program before my departure to make sure that I felt comfortable and relay the information to me. He also talked to me directly from Paris and assisted me with my transition to coming back to UNH and finding another program if possible. The Hood house also has a large section of binders that each hold students written experiences and are separated by which part of the world they travelled to.

Hold study abroad companies accountable to their dates
When I was applying to programs in the fall, I was told by my program provider that I would hear about my acceptance within three days, unfortunately three days became a month and a half regardless of my persistent phone calls. The study abroad industry and its organizations are professional. If they do not stand by their dates, find another program. Most programs state the amount of time they get back to you in their ‘frequently asked questions’ section of the website if not directly when you apply.

If companies do not show good customer service while you are in the US take the hint that they may not exhibit it when you are abroad either and run for the hills. Upon getting nervous, I applied to another program in Paris at the American Business School. A program that offered me the opportunity to talk to alumni, have a direct contact number to refer my questions to (instead of an 800 line) and an overwhelming amount of online reviews. With two acceptances in hand, I unfortunately chose the less professional program because it was more fitting to my degree.

Testimonials vs. Speaking to Alumni
In making my decision, I followed my gut and based it off general reviews instead reviews of my particular program, and did not have the opportunity to speak to alumni. These both were mistakes on my part. Read reviews on your particular program and utilize your right to speak to alumni. Many UNH approved programs such as ISA (International Studies Abroad) even have program specific tabs on their websites titled ‘contact alumni’. Testimonials are not the same as speaking directly with alumni and programs should offer you this opportunity so that you can better understand what to expect from your experience.

Although testimonials are most likely true to alumni’s words, you cannot have a two-way conversation with a quote. Smart companies also choose only the best of quotes instead of the most honest ones. Two good resources for Study abroad reviews are: www.studyabroad101.com and www.rateyourstudyabroad.com. Both are exceptionally useful because you can search by country if you are still in search of a program. As for Online forums, the best and worst part is that anyone can add his or her input. Some people’s jobs are to post positive things about their company and pose as if they are alumni. That does not help your cause in reading unbiased reviews.

Other Useful Information: Scholarships, Doctors Visit, and Medications
Scholarships for study abroad programs are very helpful. However, you need to think far in advance and find out dates ahead of time as most of the scholarships are awarded on a yearly basis. For example if you are going abroad in the Spring, you still may have needed to apply an entire year early because scholarships are also being awarded to students going in the Fall.

Go to your doctor as your departure date approaches. Ask him or her to sit down with you and go over any possible thing that could go wrong and plan ahead. Also make sure that you have medical coverage through your program or that your coverage carries over. The US State department website has a lot of valuable tips such as this and information on what to and to not bring with you about medicine and personal items. The website is http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/tips_1232.html and is a great source in preparing for all aspects of your trip in addition to medical needs.

I brought over three month and six month supplies of my daily medicines. Most insurance companies require that the doctor write the prescription in a particular way or you call ahead and alert them that you will be out of the country before the pharmacy will fill it. I also brought a lot of precautionary medicine the most important being multiple doses of antibiotics. With the addition of over the counter medicines as well, I could fill more than a shoebox to say the least with my medicine collection; I was my own pharmacy. BE SMART, SPEND THE MONEY, AND DO THE SAME!

Through my experience, I learned that being well informed is much smarter than going with your gut feeling in choosing a study abroad program. The difference between the Parisian reality I walked into and the myths told by the study abroad company prior to my departure were astonishing. Think and plan ahead, being overly careful and inquisitive is responsible never annoying. Keep in mind you are planning four months of your life and you should be safe, healthy, and happy at all times.

(Jackie is currently back at UNH, living with her Alpha Chi Omega sorority sisters and enjoying springtime at the U. Jackie is pictured on the left with another Her Campus UNH contributing writer, and AXO sister, Kimberly Bixby!)

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.