Rules For Texting Your New Crush

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Finding a new crush can be exciting and nerve-racking so here are some rules to point you in the right direction!… 

1. ALWAYS remember that texting is not dating! This might be a hard concept to understand but if your whole relationship is based on a screen then you’re clearly not dating. It’s one thing if it’s your significant other that you spend texting into the wee hours of the night but if not, don’t let yourself get confused!
  1. Which is the perfect reason to keep yourself occupied. We’ve all been there and had those moments when we sit your phone for hours waiting for that super hot guy to text you but please stop making that rookie mistake! Go do something that doesn’t involve staring at your phone’s screen!
  1. Another rookie move… we’ve all been so excited that our crush FINALLY texted us so we answer within seconds of receiving the text. Oops probably not the best move. I’m not saying wait a whole day before you answer but give it some time so you don’t actually make it look like you’ve been waiting for this text all day.
  1. We’ve all heard the whole don’t ever text a guy first speech but texting is NOT, I repeat not, a game of tag. This means you’re actually allowed to text the guy first even if you sent the last text. However, this definitely doesn’t mean that if the guy doesn’t answer then you keep texting them over and over because that will just get flat out annoying.
  1. Also, chilllll out with the emojis. I mean don’t get me wrong emojis are awesome and I’m totally guilty of overusing them but putting 10 emojis in every text to your new crush is more than likely going to look pretty obnoxious.
  1. Make sure not to go over board on texting him. I mean this as in don’t text him all the time, 24 hours a day. Then when you do see him you might not have much to talk about when you’re hanging out because you said it all in your texts.
  1. But do keep the texts flowing. If you want to talk to them then don’t be one of those one word answer people that just respond with “yeah” or “lol”. Texting is a two way street so each person needs to contribute to keep the conversation flowing.
  1. Don’t be scared to be the first person to text after the end of your first date. I mean it’s probably best to wait a few hours but don’t be scared. If you’re interested then it’s ok but remember you’re trying to avoid that whole seeming too desperate thing.
  1. Avoid novels, I know we can all sometimes have a LOT to say about something but save that for face-to-face conversation.
  1. Don’t breakup, fight or argue via text… I think we all know that but just as a reminder. It’s really never a good idea.
  1. And lastly, probably the easiest rule is talk about things that interest the both of you! But more importantly… BE YOURSELF :)
UNH class of 2015
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!