Meet Sandra Strogen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Meet the President of Alpha Xi Delta: Sandra Strogen. 

The Basics

Hometown:  Madbury, New Hampshire

Grade: Junior

Major: Communication

Dream job: Sports Journalist

Involvement on campus: UNH Women’s Club Hockey & Alpha Xi Delta

Her UNH Favorites

Hoco or Philly? Philly

Homecoming or Cinco? Homecoming

Dimond or Paul? Dimond

Paul DHOP, Dominos, or Papa Johns? DHOP

Football or Hockey? Hockey

Hut or Coffee Craving? Hut

What are your roles and responsibilities as the President of AXID?

“Filling the role of president of Alpha Xi Delta has definitely provided me with an opportunity to step up within my chapter.  It has given me the chance to help my sorority be the best they can be. My role as President is to mainly be the liaison between our chapter and the National Headquarters, as well as keeping AXID connected with the Greek community. Additionally, I oversee every aspect that goes on within the chapter i.e. Philanthropy, national events, GPEP, or any other requirements.”

What makes AXID different than any other sorority on campus?

“We have a bunch of diverse personalities that get along very well with one another.  The friendships I have made within this chapter I know will last a long time.”

If you could describe AXID to an incoming student what would you say?

“We love to have a good time, but we pride ourselves on our academics and extracurricular activities. We also support each other in every endeavor we undertake.”

What is your national philanthropy? “Autism Speaks.”

Since your national philanthropy is Autism Speaks and this month is Autism awareness month, do you have any events going on around campus?

“Recently we just held our Xi Man Philanthropy in support of Autism Speaks. Additionally, throughout the month of April, we have encouraged Fraternity and Sorority houses to display a blue light outside of their homes, in order to “Light it up Blue” for Autism Awareness month. We are also partnering with the Autism Speaks U club on campus, and co-sponsoring the Autism Speaks Hero Dash 5K on Friday, April 21st with them.”

What’s the biggest accomplishment that AXID has done to help support Autism Speaks?

“In order to raise awareness for Autism Speaks, we have continually tabled outside of Dimond Library to inform the UNH community about the cause. Additionally, we hosted our first ever Xi Man philanthropy that had competitors battle each other in “minute-to-win-it” style competitions. Due to this one fundraiser, we raised over $6,500 for Autism Speaks! We have also promoted awareness of Autism Speaks in our community by having each Fraternity/Sorority house “Light it Up Blue” every April for Autism Awareness month.”

What have you learned from Autism Speaks organization and how has it affected your life?

“Autism speaks has given me something to support that is bigger than myself. Everybody on this campus either knows or is personally connected to someone with autism. Having the opportunity to be involved with an organization that is, in some way, connected to so many people has made me feel proud to be constantly supporting such an important organization, and to be creating awareness among others. No matter the Greek letters, every house can say in some way that one of their members can relate to autism, and the Autism Speaks Organization.”