Here’s your mission, WonderWoman: Tackle Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s finally here. You’re a girl ready to tackle a different world, one with many stresses and surprises. To say that a “new adventure awaits you” is so cliche; however, it’s very accurate. Here are the 4 ways to kick butt this year:

1. Don’t Plan 

There are so many expectations brewing in your beautiful mind! I’m sure you have plans to rush in the fall, join every club that sounds ‘fun’, meet the boy of your dreams, or be the life of the party scene. Plans are great to have an idea of things, but your entry into college is one you can’t map out. Have fun! Step into this year with some idea of what to expect rather than a rigid plan for how you want things go. Take a chance and go out for something that’s different from your comfort zone! You’ll surprise yourself.

2. Keep a Balance

College is supposed be a fun and exciting time, but make your school work your first priority. Classes are a whole different ball game. They are different in the sense of work-load, tests, projects, and the professors. Use the time granted to your advantage and take it seriously. If you begin your day at 8am and end at 2pm, you can take that hour-ish nap AND get that work done after. The professors want to see you do well too, so get to know them and go to their office hours for additional help. Do your work to your highest ability. You’ll feel better once your work is completed knowing you did it to the fullest. (“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” -Wayne Gretzky, -Michael Scott)

3. Down time = major key

Relaxing and decompressing from the work is one of the best hacks to thriving in college. There are so many ways to recover from the workload of your classes and decompress from those dreadful exams. Whether it’s watching four episodes of Michael Scott and his shenanigans, being active and going to the gym, or catching up on your reading with a cup of Aroma Joes’, taking time for yourself is so important. A break from school work does not mean it’s time to spend hours on social media. You can give yourself a little break from that and still survive!

4. Don’t worry

You arrived in late August as a new face. You have ambitions of being a doctor, accountant, teacher, or engineer–basically anything in the world– and that’s why you’re here in the first place. You’re away from home, away from your element of familiarity. Making new friends is such an exciting time, and soon they will become the girls you can’t see yourself without! That confidence and feeling of comfort doesn’t happen overnight, nor in the first couple of nights. Be patient and remind yourself that everyone experiences it and you are not alone

This year comes and goes, and you’ll soon settle at your newfound home. You should feel happy and excited for the years ahead! Good for you, girl! Best of luck from the girl who went through freshman year already. She learned a lot as the semesters floated on by, and she’ll be happy to help another girl out!

Hi I'm Bri! I'm an English major with a minor in Communication from CT. I've been a Contributing Writer to the Her Campus UNH Chapter since October 2016. For the Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 school year, I was promoted to Senior Editor. The women at HC-UNH are truly amazing, displaying strength and emotion in their writing. I love being a part of the team, and reading many perspectives on music, academics, life, and relationships. 
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!