A Blessing, Not A Burden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I am proud to say that I have a 13 year old brother with Autism named Stevie. Some may view that as a burden, but that could not be further from the truth. It has changed my life and I know I would not be the same person without him. Autism does not define Stevie. He is so much more than his disorder. I am so fortunate to have been blessed with such an amazing boy. 

Here are a few things I want to thank him for:

Thank you for never failing to put a smile on my face.

No matter how upset I am or how bad of a day I may have had, I know Stevie will always be there to cheer me up. Whether it’s his cute little smirk, or his hug and kiss on the cheek (that I force him into), or just simply hearing his voice, he can always turn a bad day around.

Thank you for showing me what true happiness is.

Stevie does not care what anyone thinks of him and because of that he is the happiest boy in the world. He does what he wants when he wants and that is so refreshing to see in a world where others are constantly conforming in order to meet the standards of society. 

Thank you for being so passionate.

Stevie gets very passionate about certain things, especially movies or shows. He’ll watch the same ones over and over and memorize every line. Right now his top movie is Despicable Me. He has so many little minion toys that he carries around and always makes sure have them right next to him while watching the movie. 

Thank you for teaching me how to love unconditionally. 

I never knew I could care about someone and love someone so much. I would do anything for him and I will always put his needs before mine

Thank you for giving me patience. 

One thing I know for sure is that I am not the most patient person in the world, but Stevie has changed that. I now realize that he may get frustrated and not understand something right away, or he may not listen to me when I tell him to do something. That can be difficult to deal with but it has certainly made me realize that I need have the ability to give him time to adjust at his speed.

Most of all, thank you for making me a better person.

Stevie has given me a very special gift in life, and that is awareness.

Awareness that everyone is different.

Awareness of others and their feelings. 

Awareness that it is important not to judge a book by its cover because there is so much more to a person than what meets the eye. 

Everyone has different experiences and struggles and it is important to have the ability to recognize that. Be open-minded. Be caring. Be patient. Be aware.

I'm sophomore at the University of New Hampshire from Bedford, NH and I am studying journalism with a dual major in ecogastronomy. 
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!