6 Pros and Cons of Going Home for Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

‘Twas the night before break, and the students were packing,

for a vacay most treacherous, yet also relaxing.

And while stuffing their cars and saying goodbyes,

You can hear some loud laughter, but also some cries.

For break may be fun with the holiday cheer,

And the thrill of home meals, and “Happy New Years!”

But, as with all else, there is always some sorrow,

Of knowing you’re no longer on campus tomorrow.

So because our vacation is a give, and a take,

Here are six pros and cons of our dear winter break.

1.Pro: Home Cooked Meals

Though there really is something truly magical about unlimited amounts of dining hall french fries, they can start to get boring after three months at school.  One of the best part of being home for break is the home cooked meals.  Finally you can eat chicken, that actually looks like chicken, and you won’t being have cereal for dinner for the sixth night this week.

2.Con: Chores

When by yourself at school it’s easy to put off chores.  You don’t really have to vacuum unless something is spilled, and what’s the worst that can happen if you don’t clean your shower this week? Unfortunately, at home, this isn’t the case.  Chances are, you’ll be right back to the dreadful tasks of taking the trash out on Monday’s and making your bed every morning.

3.Pro: No School Work

Unless you’re taking a J Term class, one of the best parts of break is the break itself.  No essays, tests, presentations or homework, only loads of TV shows you’ve been meaning to catch up on and your bed calling your name.  You don’t even have to wake up for your 8 AM anymore, and, if that’s not a blessing, I don’t know what is.  

4.Cons: Boredom

Chances are, most of us left for school to get away from the humdrum home life we grew up with, and a month back at home is a very long time.  Even though it’s great to see your family and sleep in a real bed, it starts to get old after a while. There’s only so many people to catch up with, shows to watch and stores around your hometown before it starts getting old again and you’re just itching to get back to campus where, at least if you’re bored, you can walk down the hall to your best friend.  By week 3, you’re practically begging to be back in your gross little dorm room with your friends.  

5.Pro: Your Mom

She cooks for you, does your laundry, gets manicures with you, and gives you the best hugs in the entire world. Enough said.

6.Con: Running Into the People You Really Do Not Want To See

Some high school friends are amazing, and you miss them terribly while away. Others, on the other hand, not so much.  No one wants to see their ex-boyfriend, the weird girl from junior year chem who used to stare at you, your ex best friend, etc., but, if you live in a small town like I do, it’s almost unavoidable. You are guaranteed to see at least one person you despise in the local Dunkin Donuts every morning while you’re home, and you probably have to strike up conversation, too.  Unfortunately, it comes with the territory of being home.

Now that you’re prepared for the impending vacation,

and the pros and the cons of your home destination

It’s important to remember to look for the best,

Have fun while your home, make sure to get rest.

Though it can get boring, and you’ll have chores to do

There are always bright sides to being home too.

So I say to you now, knowing it will be alright,

Merry winter break to all, and to all a good night!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!