5 Ways to Save Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

College students are always on the go, so it’s very easy to spend extra on unnecessary purchases. Whether you’re looking to save for a large purchase or just trying to cut back on spending, there are simple ways to do so. 

1. Most of us are guilty in overindulging in coffee. Running from class to work to the library always calls for a large iced French Vanilla, but if you add up how much you spend on coffee per week, you would be astonished. Instead of stopping to get coffee before class, brew your own! And if you just can’t part with your Dunkin’s, you can buy a pound of coffee grounds to brew at home. 

2. Similarly, instead of buying study snacks at the library or between classes, pack some in your bag before you leave for the day. 

3. Try switching your weekly dinner dates with the girls from going out to staying in and cooking. It’s fun to cook together and try out new recipes. Throw some old board games into the mix, and it’s bound to be a fun night in!

4. Try to resist impulse shopping. Yes, that skirt may be so cute and calling your name, but take a second to ask yourself, “Do I need this?” You probably want the answer to be yes, but what do you want more, a new skirt or the item you’re saving for? And if that doesn’t work, use the 48 hour rule- wait 48 hours before making an unplanned purchase. The urge to buy will probably just go away.

5. Sign up for collegebudget.com ! There are a ton of great deals for college students. Also, when you’re shopping always ask if they give out student discounts!

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.