This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The art world is always changing…

Change in the art world is never-ending. At every turn, a new artist or style appears in the media, flooding Instagram stories in a second. Even though it’s always changing, the art world is something to pay attention to. Art is what makes the world colorful; it gives us something to focus on when this world has too much chaos going on. It is also an escape for people; for those who create it and those who view it too.

I’ve asked my professors here in the Art and Art History Department what new and emerging artists we need to keep an eye on. Some might be featured on your Instagram timeline soon enough.

Jessica Eaton

Eaton is a contemporary photographer from Canada. She got her BFA in photography from the Emily Carr Institute in Vancouver. She loves playing with the idea of science and art in order to make her mesmerizing, colorful photographs. Eaton takes multiple exposures of white and gray cubes and each time covers her lens with a different colored filter. The results produce these incredibly aesthetically pleasing and vibrant shapes within the center of her photographs. They seem to be moving even though they are stationary. Easton is clearly not afraid to try out new things and I’m excited to see what’s next from her.

Recommended by Professor Michael Cardinali, who teaches photography.

cfaal 260

Liz Corkery

Corkery is an artist from Australia who delves into the world of printmaking and installations. She explains that her inspiration actually comes from Michelangelo’s Renaissance masterpiece, the Laurentian Library. One of her most famous works, Pictures of Pieces, have a variety of prints that sit on moveable shelving systems. The images are flat and Corkery explains that she wanted to “disrupt the system of single-point perspective.” She continues this process for all of the pieces in this body of work, controlling the images where the 3D soon becomes a 2D work of art. The panels are lined up with one another along a wall and sit in front of the viewer with a cinematic feel.

Recommended by Professor Susan Wager, who teaches art history.

Small Decorations

Jason Glasser

Glasser is a multimedia artist based in France who uses a variety of materials such as acrylic paint, netting, and wood. He primarily focuses on paintings and installations. A common theme among his art is painting over different materials, like the netting, and then hanging them in open spaces. The bold shapes and bright colors make you feel as though you’re in Wonder Land. His paintings use the same idea and display vibrant images of the wild.

Recommended by Professor Rick Fox, who teaches drawing and painting.

Distant Land

Wafaa Bilal

Bilal is an Iraqi-born artist who creates interactive video works that discuss various international policies. His works are described as dynamic, powerful, and genius. His inspiration comes from his personal experience growing up in Iraq. One piece, Domestic Tension, allowed people over the internet to shoot a paint ball gun at him as many times as they want. He brings up the discussion of his feeling of comfort America but the conflict he had during his time in Iraq. His pieces are daring and definitely something to examine more in depth.

Recommended by Professor Julee Holcombe, who teaches photography.

Domestic Tension

Christoph Niemann

Niemann is an Illustrator who uses real world objects to give his works a sense of dimension and relativity. His most famously known for his covers for The New Yorker. However, one of his side projects, called Abstract Sundays, has him create these basic scenes with little drawn characters using real life objects in everyday life scenarios. His use of objects are mind-blowing and it is absolutely incredible to me with what he comes up with.

Recommended by my BFA sophomore seminar class, taught by Professor Ben Cariens, who teaches drawing and sculpture.

Ice Cream

“Don’t wait for inspiration. It comes while one is working.” – Henri Matisse

Hello! I'm Julianna and I graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a major in BFA: Photography and a minor in Business Administration. I was a Contributing Writer to the Her Campus UNH Chapter beginning in October 2016. In September 2017, I got promoted to Senior Editor, and then I was one of UNH's Campus Correspondents for the Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 school year! This organization was such an incredible experience and I can't wait to see what great things the chapter does in the future. HCXO, Julianna :) http://juliannasagliano.com/
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!