Style > Beauty

6 Great Cruelty-Free Beauty Products That Will Soon Become Your Fav

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNF chapter.

Buying cruelty-free means purchasing products that do not test their ingredients and final products on animals. It’s surprisingly easy and affordable to buy cruelty-free, which I know is important because we all need to stay within our college budget. Here are some of my favorite cruelty-free products:

1. Shea Moisture’s 10-in-1 Renewal System Hair Masque

I’ve been working on growing my hair out for years and Shea Moisture is helping me get there. It works by repairing damaged hair but also offers other benefits including color-protection, hydration, and strength. I use it once a week and leave it in for five minutes after I shampoo. This product is sold at Target and Ulta for under $13.

2. Burt’s Bees Rosewater Toner 

I use this before I apply my makeup in the morning and after I wash my makeup off at night. It removes any makeup, dirt or oil that could have been left behind after the initial cleansing. I love it because it leaves my skin feeling extra clean and refreshed. This as well as other Burt’s Bees products are sold at Target.

3. Eco tools

These brushes are made from recycled materials and are 100% cruelty-free. In my opinion, they work better than Mac or Sephora brushes and are much more affordable. I use the starter set and got it for about $13 at Ulta. 

4. Lush Color Supplements

Anything from Lush is amazing. While they are on the pricier side, the company takes pride in being ethical. Not only do they fight against animal testing, but they make efforts to only positively impact the environment and treat their workers fairly. I really love their Color Supplements. They can be used as a skin tint if mixed with moisturizer or as a foundation or concealer if used alone. I love it because it’s never cakey and it actually helps my skin look better naturally because of its fresh ingredients. Bonus: I use it with their Emotional Brilliance Powder to set it. 

5. NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream

These guys are only $6 each and come in a variety of colors. It stays on forever, and unlike other matte lipsticks it is surprisingly moisturizing. My favorite color for everyday wear is Istanbul which is a nice neutral pink, but if I’m going out I’ll wear Prague which is a darker pink. Copenhagen is a beautiful burgundy color that is perfect for Fall. You can find this product as well as other NYX products at Ulta. 

6. Vitamin E Body Butter from The Body Shop 

This is another product that is a little bit on the pricier side, but it’s definitely worth the $20. It’s great for all skin types and its scent is neutral. If you’re like me, you won’t have to worry about the scent mixing with your other beauty products and giving off an obnoxious scent from across the room. Ulta sells all sorts of Body Shop products.

There are plenty cruelty-free companies out there and you can find them with some simple research. Most products will tell you on the packaging that they do not test on animals and are cruelty-free (there’s a difference- “cruelty-free” means the company does not test their ingredients or final formula on animals, and “does not test on animals” means they do not test their final formal but the ingredients used could have been tested on animals). It really is easy and affordable to feel beautiful while taking a stand against animal testing.

Photo Credit:

• All photo credits are embedded as click-through links on pictures.