Shining A Light on Autism Speaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

The month of April is known as World Autism Month, a month where people come together to shine a light on autism. One sorority in particular raises money towards Autism Speaks, that organization being Alpha Xi Delta. Women of Alpha Xi Delta all around the world celebrate World Autism Month with various events held throughout the month.

Starting on April 2nd, the annual campaign Light It Up Blue kicks it off with communities around the world sporting blue apparel in honor of the millions of individuals and families that are affected by autism. While April 2nd is the beginning of the campaign, it also marks the date of World Autism Awareness day!

This month long celebration is so important to our school here at UNCW because we have our own Alpha Xi Delta chapter who supports this wonderful cause through their philanthropy events. This past week the Zeta Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta held their own Light It Up Blue event in the Fisher Student Union where they sold baked goods, raffle tickets, and even had their own photo booth!

If you are wondering how you can join in on the fun of celebrating World Autism Month here are a few things you can do!

1. Decorate your dorm, house, apartment, etc. with blue lights!
  2. Wear blue throughout the whole month of April!
  3. Post pictures on social media repping your newly blue decorated home or wearing blue and tag Autism Speaks or use the various hashtags available for use!
  4. Use the temporary Facebook profile picture to show your love and support for this amazing cause!

The women of Alpha Xi Delta around the globe are excited to share this great cause with you and hopefully it will bring communities closer together to support something that they hold so dear to their hearts!

[Photo Courtesy to MacKenzie Capps] 

Sophomore at the University of North Carolina Wilmington, Business and Marketing Major with a Psychology Minor