Dear Netflix: We Need to Take a Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

[Photo courtesy of the Gazette Review]

Dear Netflix,

Let me start this off by saying that it’s not you, it is the things I do because of you. I know we have had a strong run going here; I once watched an entire three season-long series in two days because of you and you really held out through that. But, I have a lot of important things due in the next few weeks — finals, papers, projects and summer job/internship applications — that need my undivided attention. So, I cannot be distracted by you for a little while.

Whether it be from the late night binge-watching that I would soon regret the following morning or shows I started because they looked intriguing but they ended up being a giant waste of time and worthy of their two-star rating, we had a lot of fun. And I would not take any of that back. The memories and the past that we have together, I will cherish it for this time that we need to be apart.

I just really need to focus on bettering myself right now. I need to focus on my studies and the jobs or internships that could segway into an actual career after I graduate next year. These need to be my priorities right now, and, although you cannot be on that list or priorities, it does not change the way I feel about you.

Maybe we can revisit “us” in the future, preferably after my final papers, projects and exams are done. However, for now, I need some time to myself. I thank you for all that you have done for me; you have provided me with so much fun over the years and have really been there for me when I needed a break after feeling burned out from school and work. But I truly believe this separation will help us, so I hope you can be patient until I choose to re-subscribe to your service.

Yours truly, Casey

A junior at UNC Wilmington double majoring in English-Professional Writing and Communication Studies, Casey aspires to work in the field of journalism post-grad. Not only is she Co-Campus Correspondent, but she is also the Editor in Chief of her school's paper, is a writing tutor and has an obsession with early twentieth century American literature.