nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie: Hannah Turner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Hannah Turner

Year: Junior

Major: English with a minor in Journalism and Environmental Studies

Hometown: Reidsville, NC

Favorite coffee flavor: Almond Joy

Favorite clothing accessory: I love small silver accents for jewelry (my lil half hoops and star shaped hoops are my all time fave)  

Must-have makeup item: Bronzer (Alexis Ren ColorPop palette ugggghhh I love it)

HC: What are your favorite hobbies?

HT: I love to dance on PG with my best friends and shred the gnar with my gal pal Camryn on our long boards, hehe. One of my favorite things to do though is meeting new people and having new experiences.

HC: What made you want to come to UNCW?

HT: I originally went to App because I thought the mountains were where I wanted to be, and that the vibes there would fit me best, but it turns out that I HATE the cold so I chose to come here to UNCW. I love it here because of the beach obviously and the great weather, but the people and atmosphere that surrounds this school pulled me in the most. I love how amazingly chill everyone is here and how they all just go with the flow. I’ve met some of the best people of my life in the time that I’ve been here.

HC: What are your passions in life?

HT: I am suuuuuuuper passionate about saving the environment and working with Environmental Studies to learn more about what’s happening with plastics in the ocean. I want to save all the lil fishes and turtles (and myself) by making the ocean a cleaner and safer place. I’m passionate about people being good to each other and the wildlife around them, because we’re all struggling on the same earth together and this is the only one we get, so why not try and make it better? I also like yoga.  

HC: Do you have any hidden talents?

HT: I can quote almost every single Harry Potter movie word for word, and I like to paint but I don’t think I’m that great at it.  

HC: What is the best Netflix show you’ve watched and why?

HT: GRACE & FRANKIE. Because it’s about these two older ladies that get divorced from both of their husbands at the same time because the husbands come out and want to marry each other. Grace is this rich white woman who is a stereotypical Martha Stewart wife and Frankie is a old hippie that smokes a lot of weed and is so eccentric. It’s sweet because they help each other going through the same situation and become best friends, but also it is the funniest show I have ever seen in my entire life, and I want to be Frankie when I grow up.   

HC: What are you looking forward to in 2018?

HT: I’m probably most looking forward to summer honestly. Also meeting new people and creating more memories with my friends. I love my friends, they always keep me laughing and I’m hoping that it will give me a six pack by the end of the year. I’m also looking forward to a lot more positivity in my life because I find myself falling into negativity throughout the school year, and this year I’m working to change that.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

HT: I HOPE in five years (2023) I’ll have graduated with all my degrees, found a nice apartment in Hawaii or Cali where I can write about and work on environmental projects and surf, and eat a lot of good food. I see myself somewhere warm and sunny all year long; with my cat Malibu and possibly a dog; with someone who loves me and I love back; with all my many friends surrounding me; and in an atmosphere that is filled with love and happiness (lol that sounds so sappy oh well).

HC: What is your dream job?

HT: I dream regularly about writing for National Geographic OR working directly with animals in captivity, trying to make the public aware of the state of the natural and artificial environments that they are forced to live in.

HC: What is your favorite thing to do in or around Wilmington?

HT: Is it basic to say the beach? I feel like everybody says that lol. I thrive off of the sun and going to the beach just calms me down, every time I’m upset or stressed I can just drive to the beach and walk for a little while and feel okay again, it’s great. I will also say that another great thing about Wilmington is the traffic. I just love getting stuck in traffic right at 5:30 everyday without fail (SIKE). I actually do like all of the people here though.  

HC: What is the most important thing you’ve taken away from college so far?

HT: I’ve learned a lot from moving around and meeting a lot of new and different people.  The most important thing about college is that you are your own person; you’re responsible for yourself and no one else. The freedom really teaches you about the kind of person you want to be and what you really want out of life. It’s helped me to see what is important and also what isn’t worth worrying about which has helped me focus on my goals and end game for my future.