Spring Slump Crackdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

We have reached the home stretch- it is officially the last month of class for Carolina students! LDOC is in three weeks (but really, when did that happen?) and everyone is in the middle period between spring break and summer break which naturally means feeling less motivated than normal. Don’t worry- HerCampus to the rescue! Here are four helpful tips to help you overcome the slump that has inevitably crept into your study habits:

1. Remind yourself of your goals and why you are here.

When burdened with extra work and finals stress, it can be hard to remember what you want to accomplish in the grand scheme of things. Take some time to write down your short-term and long-term goals to give yourself a reminder of why this is worth it. Whether on your phone, computer or a sticky-note on your desk, keep your goals near so you have a constant reminder of what you will achieve through hard work.

Helpful Hint: Listen to music that inspires you while writing down your goals. It will put you in a better mood and steer you in the right direction.

2.  Plan your assignments out so they don’t pile up.

At the beginning of the week, take some time to write down all the assignments, activities and obligations you have for the week. Organize them into categories of importance and designate times for each one. Make sure to plan out enough time to accomplish each task thoroughly. Your assignments will not seem as overwhelming if you plan accordingly. Remember to allow enough time for longer assignments like essays and projects.

Helpful Hint: Invest in a calendar. Calendars are effective in keeping your tasks in one organized place. Stop by the student stores- they have a whole array of calendars for every personality!

3. Focus on one thing at a time.

When going through the week, focus on completing a task in one time slot. Your mind will not be cluttered with other assignments if you take each individual task as it comes. Also, you will complete the task to full potential if you focus solely on its completion in one continuous time period. This is especially crucial during the quickly-approaching finals week. Try to set enough time to study for each exam individually. This way you don’t mix material and have a better chance of retaining the information.

Helpful Hint: Only keep study materials for one class on your desk. You won’t be tempted to switch back and forth between classes.

4. Don’t forget about yourself.

Take some time for yourself. Have some time to do things you enjoy- whether that be a physical activity, spending time with loved ones, or reading a book. Work is inevitable but it is always good to take a break and have some time to relax. Spreading yourself too thin can be a major problem and lead to even more stress. So, grab The Notebook, some popcorn, and your best friend and spend some time away from the chaos.

Helpful Hint: Let yourself completely RELAX! Try to shut out any thoughts of work for an hour or two.

Hi! I'm Samantha and I am a writer for the UNC division of Her Campus!
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.