Live Luxe on a Limited Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

In college, it can be tough to stay stylish on a student’s budget, especially when the temperatures cool. The advent of fall signifies the glorious return of boots and cashmere cardigans; however, the price of swathing oneself in cozy layers is dear. A typical pair of boots runs from $150-350, depending on the style, and most jackets run upward of $100. If one shops smart, though, she can look cool and stay warm all winter long.

Spend more, save more:

The next time your parents complain about the $300 Frye boots you just bought tell them, economically speaking, it is cheaper in the long run to buy more expensive high-quality goods because they tend to last longer. This saving strategy proves difficult because there is no greater feeling than sitting on one’s bed after a successful trip to the mall with her shopping bags strewn about. However,  one cashmere sweater which will last season after season is always better than five pilled acrylic cardigans.

The one exception to this rule is if the item is trendy. Don’t shell out $200 for a pair of purple, peeptoed booties. A cheap pair from Charlotte Russe will probably last longer than the trend. After which point, one can throw them away sans guilt.

However, do not confuse price with quality. While the two tend to have a positive correlation, there are also expensive, low-quality goods on the market today. With Steve Madden shoes, for instance, you are paying for style rather than for quality. Furthermore, it pays to beware of goods which look cheap, regardless of the name on the label. In lieu of looking at the designer label, regard the one sewn into the item. With purses and shoes, my rule of thumb is no more than $50 dollars for PU (faux leather) pieces.

Shop more, buy less:
This strategy seems counter-intuitive. However, by growing familiar with the typical deals and markdown days a store offers, one learns when to snap something up and when to stand your ground. For instance, most markdowns happen on Wednesdays; so, it is best to shop for steals on Thursday and Friday before the weekend rush. Thrift stores, on the other hand, are most well-stocked on Mondays as working people tend to drop clothes over the weekend.

Also, if you only shop occasionally, you will not know common discount days retailers offer. For example, many online and in-store retailers offer an additional discount on clearance toward the end of the season. Watching which merchandise goes on clearance is important, too, because there is nothing worse than seeing the purse you bought for $129.99 go on sale for $60. However, seasonless, timeless goods like jeans go on sale more rarely; so, it is hard to predict when or if markdowns will be taken.

The best time to buy jeans is in October, whereas one should stock up on perfume in January or March. UNC sophomore Cate Hudson embodies the shop-and-save lifestyle.

“I enjoy looking nice,” she says, “but I don’t have unlimited funds. I need to know when to shop. If I need something right away I will go to the store and compare prices; however, I usually try to save big purchases like boots for February when they go on sale.”

Go low maintenance:
Finally, making smart choices at the salon can lead to big savings. One way to cut back on costly coloring appointments is to stay within two shades of your natural hair color and opt for subtle highlights. That platinum blonde bob may look uber-chic for the first six weeks; however, a hair color closer to your natural tone will look a lot better two months from now than two inches of roots. Also, work with your natural texture when choosing the best haircut for you. Blowouts are costly and straightening balms and irons add up. Natural is usually better in the long run, too. As temperatures plummet, 8 a.m. classes become more daunting and the idea of showering beforehand is shiver-inducing.

Sources:
Girl with visible roots (photo): WordPress,
http://scunciaustralia.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/bad-hair-day.jpg
Sale Sign (photo): Static Gum, http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/7/11/1310412904683/High-Street-Shops-In-Cris-007.jpg
DISAYA“Marry-Me Diamond Bangle,” $356.14; asos.com
KAREN MILLEN “Large-Stud Shopper” bag, $410.31; asos.com
FRYE “Women’s Campus 14L” boot, $199.99-$298.0o; amazon.com
MISSONI “Infinity Scarf,” $200, neimanmarcus.com
AMICLUBWEAR “Black Faux Leather Faux Fur Buckle-Stapped Booties,” $30.99; amiclubwear.com
AMICLUBWEAR “Grey Faux Suede Upper Round Close Toes Rhinestone Wedges Bootie,” $38.99; amiclubwear.com
CHARLOTTE RUSSE “Glam Glitter Platform Pumps,” $35.50; charlotterusse.com
CHARLOTTE RUSSE “Cutout Colorblock Bootie,” $42.30; charlotterusse.com

Sophomore, PR major at UNC