This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Living in one of the most incredible cities in the world has sparked excitement, curiosity and, of course, the inevitable comparisons. I discover beautiful places and secrets of Paris every day, but I’ve also started to notice a number of shocking realities I did not expect to find.

French women don’t know what a scale is
Because they truly don’t need it! The “baguette-lover” stereotype about the French is widely accepted, but the slimness of the baguette-eating Parisian women is harder to digest. Come lunchtime, women have a foot-long sandwich in one hand and a Coke Zero in the other. Surprisingly enough, the same women that stuff their mouths with carbs and fats don’t seem to gain any weight. They don’t even exercise. How do they do it? The differences between French eating habits and those in the United States are simple. Most French women eat rich, small meals twice a day and don’t snack in between. The perfect French delicacy has lots butter and the most delicious cheese. Women enjoy every bite and when done, they’ll be full, satisfied and won’t feel guilty despite their large caloric consumption. Also, Parisian women walk everywhere. Needless to say, it’s been a challenge to adapt to the new eating habits I admire. Every meal is the most delicious meal I’ve ever had, so it’s hard not to over-indulge! But moderation is key.

Waiters would rather be doing something else –
All streets in Paris have cafés and restaurants that attract hundreds of people every day despite the shockingly unfriendly and sometimes plain old horrible service. I’ve experienced two very different techniques by the waiter. The first one is when they ask me what I would like before I have a chance to take off my coat and sit down. Please let me see the menu at least! The second one, at the other end of the spectrum, is when the waiter takes 20 minutes to come to the table to take my order. Good thing I am very indecisive! I was a waitress in North Carolina, and this kind of treatment could have gotten me fired. But I am learning to respect and understand their ways and reasons. The waiters have no time to chat, and it’s out of character for them to smile at costumers. Waitressing in France is a respected profession that involves serious, long training. Most waiters have over 10 years of experience. They are not puppets that have fake smiles or pretend to care about your life. They are people first and waiters second. They get paid by hour, so tipping is not necessary. Not that I would, anyway.

The French soirée –
Can you imagine going to a party at a friend’s apartment and being welcomed with a glass of red or white wine, whichever you prefer? Well, the French know how to throw a great soirée. There is no beer pong, flip-cup, quarters or whatever other games we like to play with our cheap beer. French college students don’t play games with their drinks. They just drink them. It’s common for the host to offer appetizers during a small get together and for the guests to bring a bottle of wine. The bar scene is similar to that of Chapel Hill’s, but the advantage of living in a big city is that you meet different people when you go out, not just students. Everything is expensive in Paris, and drinks are no exception. Luckily, most places have happy hours and the occasional ladies’ night. The club scene is an adventure, to say the least. Clubs are open until 5 a.m. or later, and the French are a fan of the American pop music hits. The dance floor is always on fire. Before coming to Paris, a good friend advised me not to miss a Parisian sunrise. And let’s just say that nightlife adventures make that job easy.

Little interaction between professors and students –
Class starts and the professor begins the lecture. French students are quiet and focused. International students, mostly from the United States, are still chatting among themselves. When the professor asks a question, the international students answer it. Sometimes, discussion often gets off topic, but that’s okay because that gives the professor an opportunity to teach something new, right? Well, the French system does not work that way. There is a distant and formal relationship between French professors and French students, which makes the interactive and personal American system seem disrespectful. The difference between French and American students in the classroom is uncanny. The French students are rigid and the Americans laid back. In the French system, professors pose a question and give students a time to reflect. After a moment of silence, professors move on. Two of my lectures are in English and taught by Anglo-Saxon professors who both try to engage with students. This approach is unfamiliar to the French, but the professors know what to do to get a response. Discussions often arise about the difference between the French and American way of life. And when it comes to defending their homeland’s ways, neither the Americans nor the French can keep quiet.

Disconnected in the city –
Think of the perfect scenario: you get out of class, find your favorite, cozy café, get a delicious mocha with whipped cream drizzled in chocolate and get comfortable on your favorite couch by a window where you’ll spend hours doing work while listening to French music. What a perfect place! I have been on the search for it since I got to the city. Sadly, this place only exists in the perfect Paris café magic land I created in my mind. I was surprised to find that despite the vast number of seemingly wonderful little cafés, they are not so perfect for me after all. Working at a café is almost impossible for one devastating reason: there is no free Internet! Sure, we may not have the abundant variety of cafés with the most delicious pastries in Chapel Hill, but we do have Internet access everywhere! Unless I’m in a café to read a good book, it’s hard for me to spend a lot of time there without free Internet access. Although the library at my school is well equipped and full of little nooks, I prefer to work in cafés. But unlike a typical college town in the United States, it is uncommon for French students to do work in cafés in Paris. But I am not giving up. My quest for the perfect café continues.

Sophomore, PR major at UNC