The Importance of Suitemate Relationships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

When first year students enter college, they often wonder about the relationship they will have with their roommate. However, the relationship with a roommate is not the only one those new to the dorm life must consider. Many of the residence halls here at UNC are suite style, meaning anywhere from 4-8 people share a bathroom and possible living room area.

Thus, students are likely to interact with their suitemates on a daily basis, whether it be by brushing teeth in the bathroom at the same time or passing by one another in the hallway.

Some choose to go about their college experience only spending time with their roommate or other friends, ignoring the potential friendships that could be made with those just next-door.

As a first year student myself, I have met those who, like me, spend time with their suitemates almost everyday. On the other hand, some of my closest friends at UNC claim they do not even know the names of their neighbors. When I shared this information with current first year student, Rachel Lempp, she shockingly replied, “I can’t imagine experiencing college without knowing my suitemates.”

“You need people you can turn to when you have a good or bad day. You don’t have a family here, so your suitemates become your family,” added Rachel when asked about the importance of suitemate relationships.

Here is a picture of Rachel and her suitemates posing before going out together.

For those of you struggling to create a friendship with your suitemates or just wanting to build upon a developing one, here are a few tips:

1. Start a group chat! Most of us are already on our phones anyway. Why not share dinner plans, campus updates or a funny story with your suitemates?

2. Have a game night! Find out a time when everyone is free and pick a handful of games to play. This will not only give everyone a chance to spend time together, but also provides a fun way to de-stress. Sunday nights after everyone has completed assignments usually work best.

3. Rather than go out every day of the weekend, stay in and just talk. Although going out may seem more fun, you build meaningful friendships and learn the most about the people you live with in a calm, open setting

4. Go to an exercise class or the gym. Nothing brings you closer to someone than “feeling the burn” or going through a physically challenging experience together. Plus, you can chat about your day on the walk to the recreational facility.

No matter what type of relationship you have with your suitemates, expanding upon those bonds can lead you to some of closest friendships you will have at UNC.

Lanier Gray

Chapel Hill

Lanier is a Journalism major and Hispanic Studies minor at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Through coursework and extracurricular activities, she has developed an interest in advertising, public relations, and editorial news. In addition to writing for the Chapel Hill chapter of Her Campus, she explores and develops her passions by serving as the Director of Communications for the Campus Y: UNC’s center for social justice, and working as the public relations assistant manager and local public relations specialist for Natura Magazine. She enjoys covering campus life, pop culture, sports and lifestyle. Lanier hopes to continue learning more about journalism through her current experiences and through future internships.