This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Ariel is on one of the most unique paths offered to students at the University of Michigan. She is weeks away from achieving a Bachelor of Arts degree in performance. After four years in a conservatory style acting program, Ariel is eager to commence a new chapter in her theater training at the graduate level. Originally from Potomac, Maryland, Ariel has come a far way from the small community theater shows that inspired her to follow her dream of becoming an actress. Starring in numerous University Productions, Ariel’s acting career at Michigan is concluding with her in the leading role as Abigail Williams in the American theater classic, The Crucible by Arthur Miller. Her Campus UMich had the chance to talk with Ariel about her experience at Michigan and her future plans for a career in theater.

When did you first begin acting? I always loved performing, in the third grade I was cast as Queen Ester in our production of our Porim play, which is a Jewish Holiday. I always did funny skits in class and always played the weirdo freaks that everyone thought were funny.

How did you decide to pursue an education in theater? I did the musicals in high school because I had soccer during the play season. After a while I just didn’t enjoy doing them that much, so I started auditioning for community theater shows, and I always knew that that’s what I would continue doing and college was just an aspect of that.

Do you ever get nervous before going on stage? The first moment you walk onstage is always a weird experience because you’re adjusting to the audience and they are adjusting to you. That only lasts for a second or two though.

After four years in the acting program at Michigan is there a particular role that you’ve played that was the most enjoyable or rewarding? I’d say Raina in Arms and the Man was the most enjoyable; I had a lot of fun and really missed her once the show was over. It was a really close cast and I really enjoyed the artistic process. Being in Trafford Tanzi was also amazing because I had to play a wrestler. It was the most physically demanding thing I have ever done in my life and it was amazing as an actor to watch and feel my body change and see how that affected my performance.

What would you say is your favorite part about performing?
I think it’s amazing that you can just have this euphoric experience in the theater and affect someone and be affected. Then you bring hundreds of people into a theater and each one of them is relating to it in a completely different way, it’s an unbelievable experience.

If you couldn’t be an actress what would you want to do?
Oh gosh, I don’t know nothing, there is nothing else. But if I couldn’t maybe I’d be a dog walker or something and just hang around cute dogs all day. 

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.