Words (Not) to Live By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

What words motivate you? A lot of us have mantras that we repeat in our heads when we are going through something challenging. We might remember these phrases when we’re training for race, trying to lose weight, studying for finals, or having a difficult time in a relationship. I think it’s great to find quotes and phrases that motivate you to persevere through challenging times. I have a few phrases of my own that I keep in my mental storage unit. Some of my personal favorites are “this too shall pass,” “pain is temporary, pride is forever,” “keep calm and carry on,” and “life is tough, but I’m tougher.” These phrases are great. They keep me going when I’m having a hard time and they motivate me to chase after my goals.

Will any mantra do? Not exactly. Be careful which words you choose to motivate you. Here are some examples of what I call “toxic mottos.”

Nothing Tastes as Good as Skinny Feels
Have you seen this one before? It’s everywhere! What does this message say? Basically that food isn’t worth eating if it’s going to keep you from being “skinny.” If you want to fit the model skinny ideal, you’re probably going to have to starve yourself. So you won’t be able to enjoy anything you eat, and you’ll probably be very crabby and upset. You might even develop anxiety, depression, or serious eating issues. I can see how someone might see this message and think, “I’ll remember this and it will help me stop eating sweets and other junk!” I know, sugar is bad for you and when it’s excessive in your diet it causes a host of health problems and will inevitably cause weight problems. Regardless, I have a big problem with the way this message is worded. It’s basically pro-anorexia (like a lot of other messages we receive.) It’s frustrating that there’s such a fine line between healthy and preoccupied. Be careful. If a message seems to advocate for skinniness or restrictive eating, it’s wrong. If you’re having trouble eating better, my suggestion is to concentrate on adding good foods to your diet instead of concentrating on taking away bad foods. You’ll feel so great when you eat better, and you’ll be less likely to overindulge in “bad” foods. Also, when you eat good most of the time and you make exercise a regular habit, you don’t need to worry about having a treat now and then. It’s about balance. You Can

Never Be Too Rich or Too Thin
Um, yes you can! You can be too rich and you can definitely be too thin. Greed is everywhere. Most of us (myself included) are guilty of being greedy. We want money, money, and more money. I’m sorry, but I think it’s hard to justify a $4,000 bag when there are millions of people living in poverty. I don’t see how someone can say they worked hard to have a house that costs a billion dollars. Don’t get me wrong, money is a very powerful thing and can be used to do good things. If you have a lot of money and you’re not doing some good in the world, you’re too rich! This mantra is terrible and I hate it. It fosters the belief that we should strive to be greedy and stick thin. If you think you can never be too thin, look at some pictures of those who are starving to death because they cannot afford to eat. Look at women (and men) who suffer from anorexia and bulimia. These people are hurting (for very different reasons, to be sure). The media sends a message that thin is what’s beautiful. Girls starve themselves and hurt themselves trying to achieve this unrealistic ideal. When we’re greedy and strive to be rich, we inevitably take from others. When we strive for an unrealistic ideal of thinness, we set ourselves up for obsession followed by pain. It’s better to strive to do your best, help others, and be healthy!

I encourage you to be critical of messages you receive. Just because a saying is popular does not mean it’s valuable. Sometimes we need words to motivate us. Pick yours carefully! There is good motivation and there is bad motivation. Lastly, I will share my all time favorite saying that is encourages health, happiness, and all things good: “Judge your success by the degree that you’re enjoying peace, health, and love.”- My Uncle Steve

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.