The Feminist Blog: What it Means to be a Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

My friend once told me he hates feminists. I gave him a puzzled look, a look similar to the one I often get from people when I tell them that I am a feminist. Why do so many people disagree on feminism? Some people are blatantly against feminism and its core values. However, misinterpretations about feminism are not uncommon, and are often surrounded by confusion of its definition.

So… what is feminism?

There are many definitions of feminism, but a good simple one that I like to use is that feminism is predominately a commitment to achieving equality of the sexes. Those who hold a negative view of feminism tend to hold conservative beliefs and value traditional patriarchy, believing that women selfishly become feminists in order to achieve personal gains. The truth is that feminism is not solely about women’s equality. While the feminist movement is largely female, feminism is concerned with equality for women and men. I expand my own definition of feminism, one that is not unique, to equality on the basis of gender identity, sexual orientation, social class, religion, and race. To me, feminism is simply about equality!

Types of Feminism

Feminism is a loaded term that can be broken down into types of feminism. People who identify under a certain category may share core values held by feminists, but have more specific interests or disagree on what areas are most important. There are numerous types of feminism, but here are two of the most popular:

Liberal Feminism: Liberal feminism tends to focus on gaining equality within institutions, but does not strive to completely change the existing institution. Liberal feminists often focus on equal protection under the law, and strive to change existing systems and make them more equal.

Radical Feminism: Radical feminists are typically concerned with social reforms, change, and revolution. Radical feminists emphasize gender as a social construction, and strive to combat patriarchy as well as unequal treatment of genders. Radical feminists also focus on exploitation of the female body.

A person that defines as a feminist will likely fit into both of these categories, but be more concerned with one area over another. There are many other types of feminism; these two are simply an introduction.

Baggage

Why do I get mixed reactions when I say I am a feminist? The very word “feminism” carries with it a lot of baggage. There are hundreds of feminist critics and many websites that are altogether against feminism. We receive mixed signals about feminism and what it stands for. Why?

First of all, as with any group, there are extreme feminists who take things a step too far. There are people who become involved in feminism for the wrong reasons and take things to the extreme; creating a reputation for the feminist movement and the word “feminism.” Critics of feminism may say that it is a white, middle class movement, and this statement may have some truth to it, as is apparent in first wave feminism. Today, however, many feminists are concerned with how race, gender, sexuality, and other aspects intersect to create diverse inequalities.

Why I am a Feminist

When I started college two and a half years ago, I had no idea that I was a feminist. I didn’t know what the word meant, or who might be a feminist. After I declared my major in Communication Studies, I began taking more classes concerning human relations, sociology, and gender. Last fall, I officially declared my minor in Women’s and Gender Studies. While I am a novice when it comes to feminism, I do not hesitate to say I am a feminist! Why am I a feminist? Here are just a few reasons:

I am a feminist because I believe in equality for all people, regardless of their sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, or social class.

I am a feminist because I am deeply disturbed by women’s bodies being exploited by the media.

I am a feminist because I am sad for women who view their body negatively, have eating disorders, and have low self esteems because they strive to achieve a non existent state of perfection.

I am a feminist because I am sad for men who feel their bodies are inadequate and strive to achieve an unrealistic masculine ideal.

I am a feminist because I believe that if you are in love with somebody, you should be able to marry them regardless of their gender.

I am a feminist because I believe that while racism and sexism are much less a part of society than they were in the past, they are still a highly problematic part of our culture.

I am a feminist because I believe that men should not be judged if they choose to take paternity leave or be stay at home fathers.

I am a feminist because I am very disturbed by date rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment.

I am a feminist because the gender wage gap still exists.

I am a feminist because I do not want the media or other social institutions to define who I am, or who I should be.

I am a feminist because I believe that change is possible!

So, what do you think? Would you call yourself a feminist? Why, or why not?

I am a feminist, and I am proud to be one!

Feminism directly confronts the idea that one person or set of people [has] the right to impose definitions of reality on others. ~Liz Stanley and Sue Wise

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.