Dating in Missoula: 10 Ideas for Your Love Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

We all know how it is. There’s that one guy you met in Bio or Anthropology, and once you started talking, sparks flew. Now it’s time for a date. Whether it’s your first date or one of many, there’s a lot to do in and around Missoula. Here are some of my personal favorite date ideas: mostly cheap, some outside, some in town, easy to get to, and always fun.  

1.Floating the river: What better way to cool off in the hot Missoula summers than spending a day on the Clark Fork river? There are tube rentals at the Army Surplus store downtown, and a few different routes you can take that will either keep you close to campus or simply beginning or ending on campus.

2. Go on a hike: One of the nicest things about living in Missoula is everything there is to do outside. If you don’t have a car, getting to Mt. Sentinel to hike the M is super easy, and having a car gives you access to hiking anywhere in the Bitterroot Valley, and even just outside it if you’re willing to pay for the extra gas. Being outside is a good way to connect and have good conversation, especially for a first date. How many times have you been out for movie and a dinner? …How many times have you taken a date on a hike?
Exactly.
Click here for some good hiking in and around Missoula.

3. First Friday: First Friday is a good in-town option for those who want a night out on the town. On the first Friday of every month, downtown Missoula goes all out. Most of the galleries have new art up, bands are playing, restaurants are offering specials, and some stores have one night sales. This is a good way to see downtown Missoula and maybe score some cheap food or good deals, and a good way to spend a little extra time with a date before the weekend gets crazy with all the plans that tend to stack up.

4. Dinner downtown: If you have a little bit of extra money, going downtown for dinner is another great date. You can keep it simple and get cheap but delicious food at Taco del Sol, El Cazador, the Old Post, or Thai Spicy. Or, if you want to go a little more high end, you can check out the Iron Horse, Hana Sushi, the Silk Road, or Ciao Mambo.

5. Check out the hot springs: This is one date that you’ll need a car for, but it is worth the effort! Missoula has a ton of hot springs not too far away, and in the winters it’s easy to forget that they’re a good option for thawing out and relaxing when you’ve got a little bit of that extra time. Check out Jerry Johnson Hot Springs (which you’ll need snowshoes to get to in the winter), Fairmont Hot Springs just an hour south near Deer Lodge, and Lolo Hot Springs  for an option a bit closer to Missoula. Another plus of going to the hot springs: It’s cheap, unique, fun, and a great way to spend time with someone.

6. Staying in—Making dinner and watching a movie: This might be a little difficult if you’re living in the dorms, but it is worth the effort if you can make it work! Make a trip to the grocery store with your date and explore the store to find something you want to make. (If you’re dealing with dorm kitchens, it might be best to keep it simple, depending on how well stocked the kitchen is.) Cook together, relax and enjoy your food (breakfast for dinner is always an excellent idea), and when you’re done cleaning head to your room or his and pop in a movie. Cheap, easy, and fun…what college student could ask for more?

7. Going to a Griz game: With Missoula being Griz Nation, the games can get crazy but also pretty fun. A date to the Griz football games might get too insane if you decide to head to the student section; at least, if you go there, don’t expect any conversation! But the basketball games, tennis games, hockey games, or any other sport that the two of you might enjoy together are cheap and easy to get to. Most Griz games are all on campus, or not far away. Depending on the game and the sport, you might have to get tickets ahead of time by swiping your Griz card at The Source in the UC. When you get to the game make sure you bring your Griz card and a few extra dollars cash, just in case.

8. Missoula’s movie scene: Missoula is famous for our music scene, but there’s less talk about the movies that come to Missoula. Most weekends, there are usually two movies playing at the UC for cheap. Or, if you want to watch something that’s just come out, the bigger movie theaters aren’t far from campus. A lot of movies also come to the Wilma and the Roxy, especially independent films, documentaries, and films played at the International Wildlife Film Festival and the Big Sky Film Festival.

9. Volunteer work: Missoula is also an area with a lot of awesome volunteering opportunities. And what better way than to spend time with a guy than also giving back to the community? Check out volunteering at the Humane Society, the Poverello Center,or Habitat for Humanity.

10. Go out to breakfast: Breakfast is a nice twist on dinner dates, which can be overrated. Check out Hob Nobs on the Hip Strip, just on the other side of the Higgins bridge from the Wilma. Or try the Shack, just downtown on Main Street, or Butterfly Herbs on Higgins. If you’re digging the espresso scene, make sure to try Liquid Planet or Bernice’s. Who knows, you could make each location a different date!

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.