Be your own sunshine this winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

As the thicker clouds roll in and we begin to see less and less sunshine we realize the warm summer days are long gone. However, your sunny moods doesn’t need to hibernate too! Check out these six simple ways to stay happy during those gloomy winter days.

1. Let in the light!

Sometimes when its cold outside nothing seems better than shutting your blinds and curling up in bed turning on your TV and indulging in cups and cups of hot chocolate. To much quality time in the darkness with your remote control can make you lethargic and down in the dumps. Try opening up your blinds and rising and setting with the sun. If that’s not enough hop on amazon and look for a sun therapy light. They are proven to help people who suffer with seasonal affective disorder, also known as SAD.

1. Exercise:

Ever notice that after hitting the gym you’re in a much better mood? In winter we tend to spend a lot less time being active, so make it a priority to hit the gym as often as possible. Maybe join a class or two at the gym, or find a workout buddy. Set reasonable commitments to keep yourself motivated. Not only will your mood be better, but also you’ll be beach ready come next summer!

1. Bundle up!

Being cold can be frustrating but don’t be fooled. Just because its time to box up your bikinis doesn’t mean that your inner fashionista must go into hiding as well. Take advantage of the opportunity to layer up and accessorize with cute scarves and hats!

1. Get outside!

Getting use to the snow again can always be a tough challenge, especially when you spend your days slushing around campus from class to class. Finding a winter activity that you enjoy can be a nice transition into the frosty winter months. Weather you start a snowball fight with the hottie next door, or purchase a season pass to your nearest ski mountain you will definitely benefit from spending time outdoors.

1. Eating Right

Its freezing out, and your body is going to try everything it can to stay warm, including causing you to crave food, food and more food! Food isn’t necessarily a bad thing though, whip up a soup with lots of veggies and protein to keep you more full and warmer longer. Also make sure that you are upping your vitamin D intake since the sun is in hiding.

Keep in mind the five simple tips light, exercise, cute and cozy winter clothes, getting outside and maintaining a healthy diet can do wonders to improve your day to day winter life. Use these tips to assure that even when the snow is falling hard, you have that sunny smile on your face, and don’t forget all the benefits that this time of year can bring. After all boyfriends are a winter sport, so don’t hesitate to cuddle up next to a cutie to stay warm!

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.